Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Evolution of a domestic line  (Read 1591 times)

Bigmac77

Evolution of a domestic line
« on: January 10, 2018, 02:57:27 PM »

I have lived in my current property in very rural Anglesey for nearly 10 years now, when I first moved here I was able to get ADSL over a near 4 mile length of copper to the exchange and I got about 1Mbps (can't remember the upload but it was tiny), then ADSL2 3.5Mbps down & 0.4Mbps up but always loosing connection longest I got was 7 days. A couple of years ago thanks to the Welsh assembly government a fibre cabinet was installed a mile away so I switched to VDSL using a HG612 I was able to receive, 18Mbps down and 1.2Mbps up and now months of stable connection. Finally I could watch iPlayer, Netflix etc in HD but the upload wasn't great. Then in autumn last year some work was going on in my lane, fibre was being installed at each pole, when it was finished there was a fibre cable on the pole at the bottom of my driveway (30m from my house!!). As soon as FTTP WBC was showing on BT's DSL checker I placed an order (It was on black Friday so hopefully I got a good deal). Openreach had to come and survey the job and yesterday was the install.

Install went as follows; my old copper wire was removed then a new overhead cable was connected to the pole via one of my outbuildings to my house, the cable had a single fibre strand (i think) and also a single copper pair. End on it looked like a figure 8 with one on top of the other. this was then fed through into my loft where the copper was connected to my Openreach master socket and the fibre to my new Huawei HG8110 GPON terminal. From there it connects to my Homehub 5 which is soon to be replaced. I did think it would terminate outside and then be connected from there to the inside of the house as I had seen in various forum threads and youtube videos but this is a much neater setup and not unlike the last.

Now I am getting 50Mbps down and 10Mbps up I could have had 300 and 30 but what I have is fast enough for now.

Longest 10 years ever.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:57:28 PM by Bigmac77 »

ktz392837

• Reg Member
Re: Evolution of a domestic line
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 04:31:27 PM »

Do engineers go into loft/ roof space now?  This would be good if fttp ever came to me.  What do the survey people do - do you get any input?

Currently my fttc line goes into my loft / roof space (not fully boarded / loft ladder), thrown across to a cavity on a different wall and somehow appears downstairs to a master socket.

I know if it ever needed changing it would need cables feeding through things to get it from the loft /  roof space to the downstairs.

If they go into the roof space now they could just terminate up their to a master socket and I could sort out new cabling to get it downstairs and mains socket next to the new termination.

I dread the drop wire having to be replaced I wonder what they would do if it ever did?

Bigmac77

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 05:59:31 PM »

It's a converted loft with stairs.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 08:48:53 AM »

It's great to hear it's possible ( I keep my fingers crossed  :fingers: ) your situation sounds the same as mine except still on EO line about 4 miles and no ADSL2  :( fibre is now installed in the exchange but no use to me yet and can't see them rushing to place another cabinet between exchange and home any time soon

anything