Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vectoring again  (Read 3882 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Vectoring again
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 10:01:22 AM »

Have the same view and it makes me wonder who would benefit from this XdB & Vectoring change the only ISP to offer 55/10 is BT or am I being too cynical  :-\

The theory is the EU should benefit.   Why more ISPs dont offer 55/10 Ive no idea.. thats their choice and nothing stopping them.   Probably want those who can get more to opt for the more expensive 80/20.     
There shouldn't be any reason why Zen cant at least try the OP on 80/20.  Didnt Plusnet used to put all accounts on 80/20
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anoggin

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 11:02:13 AM »

Thank you for your thoughtful help, Kitz.

Catch-22 comes to mind.

By the way, when the tech support person realised he had no idea what I was talking about, he went off to speak to a colleague who told him that vectoring would have an effect 'only on long lines' and would therefore make no difference to mine.  That sounds to me as though they were confusing vectoring with long-reach VDSL. But I'm not knowledgeable enough to win an argument with them on the technical aspects.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 01:25:09 PM »

I'd be phoning and asking to speak to someone much higher up the chain, and perhaps insist they read this thread.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 03:50:16 PM »

/snip/ .... a colleague who told him that vectoring would have an effect 'only on long lines' and would therefore make no difference to mine. 

Oh dear!   Not at all the response I would have expected from Zen TS   :'(
Cross-talk affects shortest lines the most, thus shorter lines see the most speed improvement gains from vectoring.   :-\

I'd be phoning and asking to speak to someone much higher up the chain, and perhaps insist they read this thread.

Good idea.
If Leo was still around the sharp pointy stick would be out by now.  Unfortunately most of the Zen staff I know have now left for other places and Zen don't seem to have a forum team these days like they used to.  I still know a couple of people there, but they don't work on the DSL/tech side.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Xup

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 11:36:16 AM »

Just for info really, my stats with 3db and Vectoring , line length minimum 750 meters to cab (straight line House to FTTC cab)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 01:22:18 PM »

my stats with 3db and Vectoring , line length minimum 750 meters to cab (straight line House to FTTC cab)
Nice.   If you could get BT to upgrade you line then it would sync higher than my 300m line.   
Currently at 72.7 Mbps, although can drop to 67/68 with INP.    Max attainable used to be 108 Mbps.   Just shows how much crosstalk has eroded my line :(
-----
Pages: 1 [2]

anything