Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Hell.  (Read 2576 times)

luke howitt

BT Hell.
« on: May 12, 2008, 11:34:40 PM »

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  6816 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 443 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

----------------------------------------

WHAT is this actually all about? I was on the phone to BT the other day, got an engineer to the exchange, no faults, had an engineer round the house, no faults on the line (excpet a slightly "dirty" phone line) but still i have an IP profile of 500 kbps...

For about 3 days, i had a normal 6000 kbps profile but it dropped again with no real reason.

Why is this? I had put it in the test socket and restarted my router etc etc. but nothing changes...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT Hell.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 12:16:00 AM »

Your speeds are currently being limited by your IP profile.

To get such a profile, at some point over the past few days your router must have had a low sync event where it connected between 576-832 kbps. :/

I notice youre now connected at 6818 kbps, so if you can keep this stable for a few days your IP profile will increase accordingly...  as will your throughput speed.  Best thing you can do right now is just leave your connection alone. For such a large increase hopefully it should occur pretty soon.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 08:08:35 AM »

I was on the phone to BT the other day, got an engineer to the exchange, no faults, had an engineer round the house, no faults on the line (excpet a slightly "dirty" phone line) but still i have an IP profile of 500 kbps...

Does that mean you can hear background noise when you use the phone?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

luke howitt

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 11:29:18 AM »

I was on the phone to BT the other day, got an engineer to the exchange, no faults, had an engineer round the house, no faults on the line (excpet a slightly "dirty" phone line) but still i have an IP profile of 500 kbps...

Does that mean you can hear background noise when you use the phone?

Yes, a slight fuzzy noise in the background. It varies from time to time sometimes it can be very loud, where the person you are talking to becomes very quiet, and sometimes it will be a slight fuzz in the background. The engineer told us that there were no problems with our line however :/

And thanks kit for the reply, I'm just slightly fed up with the fact that BT seem to keep you on the phone for 2-3 hours, not solving the initial case, which you have explained to me in a very nice SINGLE sentence :P

Thanks again

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 11:46:39 AM »

Dial 17070 and take option 2 - you should hear NOTHING. If you can hear anything (buzzing etc.), unplug all extensions and plug the phone only (don't plug in the splitter & router) in to the master socket (better still the test socket behind the lower half of the master socket) - repeat the test. If that clears the problem it is something in your internal wiring and you can put things back one at a time to find what causes the problem.

If you still have noise one final test - borrow another phone handset from someone who has a crystal clear line and repeat the test.

If after all that you still have a noisy line, you need to report this as a voice fault to BT - DO NOT MENTION ADSL - in fact hiding your router splitter etc before the BT engineer arrives is recommended by some people. If you can get rid of the noise on the line your ADSL should become a lot more stable.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

anything