Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: VPN to UK Isp - how to do it  (Read 8263 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: VPN to UK Isp - how to do it
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2017, 08:58:27 PM »

>> Saffy deleted

deleted as advertising and not comfortable with people doing this.

Thanks k.u. I wasnt aware of that.

Both Eric and I were simultaneously dealing with moderation at same time.  I locked but the OP explained more info to Eric - he definitely isn't advertising.  Just in another country now trying to access another site where he is already a member.

Whilst I definitely do object to trying to him offering to pay for a UK line (which is possibly the secondary reason Saffy deleted after advertising) because as I mentioned above I considered that fraud..  or asking for someone in the UK to set up a VPN for him..  which is a liability on the line holder.  Saffy also suggested a VPS or VPN of which I have no objection to discussing as in open forum & as long as no money exchanges hands.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 07:29:24 AM »

Yeah my only further comment is that the IP scoring service is not very reliable, it considers a broadband IP I put in as a confirmed VPN,proxy (scored 1), likewise with a unused ip from one of my vps's. It is possible the vps ip could have been used by someone else prior to me getting it, but I have had it for over 3 years now, which would mean they dont clean their database.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 11:14:11 AM »

the IP scoring service is not very reliable,

Out of interest I put in a few Plusnet IPs (static & dynamic) which scored between .93 & .95 which is pretty high for valid broadband accounts 

My server IP which has never been used for VPN scored 1.  I wonder if they are using AS numbers to identify webhosts from the IP.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 12:41:35 PM »

I also tried with Plusnet static and VPS server IPs. Same result as @kitz

I've had those for 6 years, and never used as proxy or VPN

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 02:39:13 AM »

I achieve something similar using an IKEv2 site-to-site IPsec VPN between a Raspberry Pi 3 at home and a VPS in a different country. In my case, however, I live in the UK and my requirement is to have traffic from certain devices on my LAN to automatically go over the VPN and egress from a different country.

It's a bit complicated and fiddly to set up, and it took me a while to get to grips with IPsec, but it works a treat.

I have a /24 network at home and a smaller subset of it (a /28) is included in the "encryption domain" of the VPN and gets automatically routed over the VPN if devices with those IPs use the Raspberry Pi as their default gateway. Simple as that.

To achieve that, I set up static reservations for those devices on my DHCP server (in the EdgeRouter):

Code: [Select]
static-mapping PS3 {
    ip-address 192.168.1.33
    mac-address fc:0f:e6:cf:57:8d
    static-mapping-parameters "option routers 192.168.1.7;"
}

As you can see, that reservation get a different default gateway, 192.168.1.7 (IP address of the RPi), instead of 192.168.1.1, which is my EdgeRouter, which is the default gateway for all other devices at home.

The subnet for the encryption domain is 192.168.1.32/28 (192.168.1.33 - 192.168.1.46 usable). I used the auto=route option in ipsec.conf which installs kernel traps that automatically bring the VPN up when it detects traffic between the left and right subnets (in case the SA is not up).

In your case, all you need is a VPS in the UK (around $5 a month) and a £30 Raspberry Pi (or any capable router or Linux machine). I tried various commercial VPN providers, even the really big ones, and their IP addresses were always easily detected by various content providers as a VPN exit point. Some people have reported better success by purchasing a dedicated static IP from VPN providers, which tends to be outside of their usual VPN pools, but YMMV.

If you need more details, let me know :)
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 05:24:04 AM »

A side note, but relevant in a generic sense, I work internationally and away from home frequently.  In the past I have tried using VPN from various places (hotels etc) to my home in order gain access to UK content. I stopped doing this pretty quickly because it annoyed the family at home - the upstream bandwidth wasn't enough to make it work very well and it caused internet-sadness amongst the teenage population.

Currently I am in Egypt, and like in many countries, the internet is censored here and this includes the blocking of VPN services and recently they began blocking more VPN services.

Content piracy in most forms here is absolutely rife - which you can kind of understand when you know how poor many people are, illegal streaming and copying are very common.

I have no idea what the OP wanted to do, or where he / she might have been from but obviously allowing someone to "hire" your phone line would be a super-bad idea!  :police: :police:

Cheers big ears!

C

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 11:19:50 AM »

I stopped doing this pretty quickly because it annoyed the family at home - the upstream bandwidth wasn't enough to make it work very well and it caused internet-sadness amongst the teenage population.

Hence the VPS :)

Most $5 plans give you 1TB of transfer each month. Scaleway offers 200 Mbps unmetered, but they only have 2 locations atm.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 11:53:16 AM »

Hence the VPS :)

Most $5 plans give you 1TB of transfer each month. Scaleway offers 200 Mbps unmetered, but they only have 2 locations atm.

My problem is typically that I want to get TV I have recorded from my house to me and the connection from my house to the internet is 1Mb.

So now I just use Dropbox and traffic management on my router to limit the speed down to a point where it doesn't affect anyone at home and it just means it takes me 24 hours to upload Match of the Day, which is fine.....

C

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 12:07:36 PM »

But wouldn't it be better to stream it from iPlayer direct? If you have a VPS based VPN, that is.
Pages: 1 [2]