Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VMG1312-B10A Webgui  (Read 2908 times)

Jasonkruys

• Reg Member
VMG1312-B10A Webgui
« on: December 21, 2017, 04:25:57 PM »

I have recently purchased a VMG1312-B10A, have factory reset it using the reset pin, but cannot access the webgui using the default Zyxel username/password.

After many hours searching the web and going mad, I have noted that aaisp supplied these routers with a custom ROM-D on with a different admin/supervisor password. There was nothing in the listing that suggested this was anything other than a 'standard' Zyxel device, but I have run out of ideas!

Is there any way I can tell if I have been sold an aaisp 'locked' device? If it is, is there anyway I can clear the ROM-D to get it back to Zyxel defaults and upload the latest standard firmware?

Thanks.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: VMG1312-B10A Webgui
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 05:17:39 PM »

Download the most recent ZyXEL firmware image for the VMG1312-B10A.

With the VMG1312-B10A totally disconnected from everything (including the PSU!), depress and keep held depressed the recessed reset button. With your other hand, connect the power supply. Continue to keep the reset button depressed. Eventually the power LED on the VMG1312-B10A will stop flashing red and become solid red. Release the reset button.

Connect a standard Ethernet patch cable to the LAN1 port of the VMG1312-B10A. Connect the other end to a computer whose NIC has been configured with a static IPv4 address in the 192.168.1.[2-254] range . . . use what ever is most convenient, anything other than the 192.168.1.1 IPv4 address.

Open a web-browser and enter 192.168.1.1 on the address bar. The firmware upgrade page will be shown. Specify the firmware image that you have downloaded and unpacked (above) and initiate the firmware upgrade. Once the upgrade appears to have finished, don't do anything. Leave the VMG1312-B10A alone for 5 - 10 minutes.

Power cycle the device and once it has reinitialised, press and hold the reset button for 5 - 10 seconds. Allow it to reinitialise and then, from the command line, establish a telnet connection using the 192.168.1.1 IPv4 address and the admin / 1234 credentials. Once logged in, issue the save_default clean command. Log out, then press and hold the reset button for 5 - 10 seconds.

You now should have a pure vaniila ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A device.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Jasonkruys

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 07:11:02 PM »

Marvellous - that has done the trick.

The 'save_default clean' command was not recognised when I tried to delete any ROM-D, but I now have access to the WebGUI in any case, it looks vanilla enough.

I have it set up in bridge mode connected to my DD-WRT router uploading stats to MDWS, so all is well. The result is the downstream noise appears to be reduced compared to the HG612 - let's see if it is enough to remove my banding, without taking more extreme measures like artificially limiting sync!

Thanks burakkucat - much appreciated!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 07:14:45 PM »

Marvellous - that has done the trick.

. . .

Thanks burakkucat - much appreciated!

Purrfect. You are welcome.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 11:11:45 PM »

I found my HG612 was loosing sync when the central heating went on/off. When I switched to the B10A that stopped so hopefully you will see a similar improvement.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530