Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Too short DHCP WAN lease time on TalkTalk - 15 minutes  (Read 6378 times)

ktz392837

• Reg Member
Re: Too short DHCP WAN lease time on TalkTalk - 15 minutes
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 02:55:52 PM »

Could try saving configuration and then changing the option (nb it must be accepted by GUI) and saving again.  Then use WinMerge to compare the two files to find the differences.  Obviously be careful you are not resyncing too many times to upset the DLM!

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 10:38:42 AM »

Just to confirm I'm doing the testing on a spare VMG3925 which is NOT connected to the net.

One more update today on my TT thread and one of their staff denies they use 15 minute lease times! Both myself and one other there have posted images to show that the staff member is WRONG!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 08:48:37 PM »

Well believe it or not I finally have an answer on this from TT. They use a 15 minute lease in order to prevent running out of IPv4 addresses  :o They seem to think that this will make sure they get back IPv4 addresses from VDSL customers more frequently. I have pointed out that perhaps if they actually moved to the 21st Century and started to support IPv6 then things might improve. OK perhaps a 24 hour lease might be too long as I know some folks do turn their routers off at night but maybe something like 8 hours might be more reasonable. Anyway I have suggested that the should move to the 21st Century and invest in IPv6 technology. I am fed up with having to run Miredo on Linux to access any site which is IPv6 only. They really are dinosaurs.  :rant:

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2017, 07:41:12 PM »

yes its more then likely to preserve ips, dual stack will have no immediate benefit on this but of course dual stack is the first step to a ipv6 internet so any sane isp should not be ipv4 single stacked

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2017, 11:48:07 AM »

For an unrelated reason to this inquiry I was looking at my routers log and notice that about every 7 minutes 30 seconds I am seeing the following entries repeated
Does this affect you in any way?
Pages: 1 [2]

anything