Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Eternet/wirless connection problem  (Read 6341 times)

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
Eternet/wirless connection problem
« on: May 12, 2008, 10:11:38 PM »

I am having trouble with connecting my laptop to desktop using a netgear DG834G.

When the wireless connection finally decides to work on my laptop, takes up to half an hour sometimes, I can connect to my desktop.  But if I plug in an ethernet cable and switch off the wireless connection I can no longer access my desktop.

Any suggestions as why this might be happening.

gom

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Eternet/wirless connection problem
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 10:50:35 PM »

>> But if I plug in an ethernet cable and switch off the wireless connection I can no longer access my desktop.

Conflicting IP addresses?

From the cmd prompt use > ipconfig /all
to see what IP addresses are being allocated to each adapter on each machine.

You could perhaps try hardcoding an IP address to each adaptor on each machine in the same range as your router.

eg
If the Router IP is 192.168.0.1

assign:-

192.168.0.2 to the Desktop network card
192.168.0.3 to the Laptop network card
192.168.0.4 to the Laptop wireless card

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 07:50:10 AM »

hi gom

does it take your laptop half an hour to See the router or it can see it but cant connect?

open a cmd prompt and type 'netsh int ip reset reset.txt. and press enter, then 'netsh winsock reset' and press enter, reboot the pc and test it.

Paul

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 09:14:57 PM »

Thank you for both of your replies

Kitz, does your advice apply to the laptop, desktop or both?

Pwiggler.  The laptop can't find any wireless connections when first switched on.  Sometimes I can reboot and it connects other times I just leave laptop running and after about half an hour hey presto we have a wireless connection.  From the Toshiba website it would appear I am not alone in this problem.  My son who works in big company tells me a number of people there who have Vista laptops are experiencing the same problem.  A recentl post on Toshiba forum suggested that vista service pack 1 and most up to date wireless driver may solve the problem. Haven't got sp1 yet.

gom

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 09:25:05 PM »

>> Kitz, does your advice apply to the laptop, desktop or both?

If regards to manually setting the IP addresses - Both 
One of the things that did occur that it could possibly be an IP conflict and it getting an IP after 1/2 an hour, was this could be when the DHCP lease on the IP addresses expire.

>> My son who works in big company tells me a number of people there who have Vista laptops are experiencing the same problem.

:(

>> A recentl post on Toshiba forum suggested that vista service pack 1 and most up to date wireless driver may solve the problem.

Possible, you could also try letting Windows handle the wireless connection rather than the wireless card software.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 02:39:12 AM »

Yeah... what ^ she said!

Specially look at the up to date wireless driver... not necessarily from the Toshiba website either, because drivers from PC manufacturers' websites are more often than not a few revisions back from the most recent.

If you know what kind of wireless card it is (ie the device name isn't too Toshiba branded), have a look for some drivers from the wireless card manufacturer's website. If not, the program below might help.

(bit of a diversion this, but a related one!)

If you don't know what an OEM-branded component really is, or you have unknown devices in your Device Manager, Unknown Devices might help.

It looks up the manufacturer and device ID of the components in your system and will often give you a truer indication of what they are. As it will also look up devices that are showing as "Unknown Devices", er... hence the name I guess!!

I'd better do the usual blah blah .. I have absolutely no affiliation - personally, professionally, financially, morally, sexually(!), etc) with HalfDone.com or the Unknown Devices application. I just really like the program and it's saved me loads of time! It also really annoys me to have to post a disclaimer, not because Kitz says we have to (coz she doesn't!), but just to keep my back covered at all times! So anyway... yeah, it's a great program!!
Chris

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 07:42:02 AM »

OF - did you try the netsh commands?
Paul

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 08:52:28 AM »

Sorry, didn't see your first reply - wasn't ignoring your suggestion! :)
Chris

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 10:54:09 PM »

That looks quite handy Chris - bookmarked ta.

Another primary point of reference for the "what the hell is this?" moment is the FCC search engine :

http://freepctech.com/pc/001/fcc_search_engine.shtml  (and others)

This does require you to physically examine the card but its saved my bacon a few times :)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 11:17:18 PM »

Yes, good call also, Rizla.

It's very rare that you can't find out exactly what a device is... although don't ask me about el-cheapo PCMCIA USB 2.0 cards for laptops!! :mad: Let's just say I had some fun finding drivers... and gave up in the end, the thing defeated me good n proper!!!
Chris

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 09:34:49 PM »

Thanks for all your replies.  I will follow them up and let you know how I get on.

gom