Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Any idea what happened here?  (Read 1936 times)

frogfoot

Any idea what happened here?
« on: December 20, 2017, 02:32:01 PM »

My line has been stable for over a year, with very few errors connecting at (or close to) 80Mb/s.  Yesterday (19 Dec at 13:24) there was a re-sync event and download Interleaving was applied at a depth of 1283, at the same time G-inp was removed.  This has resulted in a 15Mb/sec drop in speed and a corresponding increase in latency.  DSL stats shows no significant events leading up to this just a single burst of errors (280 CRC errors/min) at the time of the resync.  The Traffic light showed all green, so DLM should not have been invoked.  Any idea why DLM should behave in this way? Shurely one burst of noise should not result in such a dramatic loss of performance.

My MyDSLWebStats Username is frogfoot10

Cheers
Tom

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: Any idea what happened here?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 04:14:02 PM »

looks like you had 10 SES on the 19th. I wonder if this contributed to DLM taking action.

frogfoot

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 04:53:43 PM »

I noticed those too, however they coincide with the router re-sync,  My router always seems to generate a 10 second burst of SES when it establishes a new session.  In any case I thought DLM only intervened when there were 2880 errored seconds in a 24 hour period

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 05:01:39 PM »

looks like you had 10 SES on the 19th. I wonder if this contributed to DLM taking action.
Looks like they were caused by DLM initiating the resync. My line gets 11-12 SES every DLM initiated resync.

Regarding the OP, it's a little odd. DLM doesn't usually remove G.INP for interleaving.

What has just happened to your line is exactly what I would expect to happen with a DLM reset. What ISP are you with? A change of backhaul or a DLM profile change can cause a DLM reset. Zen in particular are switching backhaul for lots of their customers but I would have expected them to contact you in advance.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

frogfoot

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 05:29:47 PM »

ISP is Plusnet,  I too cant see why a DLM reset would have occurred, but it is very annoying.  My son has already noticed the increased latency whilst gaming.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 06:04:58 PM »

yeah i think its a reset.

RichardB

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 06:56:51 PM »

My PN line lost G.inp and interleaving was applied on Monday the 18th approx 3:30 in the afternoon.
DS noise  margin raised from 3dB to 6 dB.
DS synch speed fell from 79 megabits/s to 58 megabits/s.
Mydslwebstats name = skandia
I cannot see why it happened...

Today (less than 48 hours later) G.inp was back on and DS synch now 68 megabits/s just waiting to see if the noise margin is reduced by DLM.

My work colleague also on PN fibre on a neighbouring exchange was similarly affected on Tuesday afternoon...

I wondered if we had been moved to the new PN network but....
I cannot see any "questions" / tickets on my PN acount &
I am an Ex 40/20 customer now on 55/10 but provisioned on 80/20 with Openreach.
I thought they would move me to the Openreach 55/10 product when the network transfer takes place?

Richard

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 07:54:38 PM »

ISP is Plusnet,  I too cant see why a DLM reset would have occurred, but it is very annoying.  My son has already noticed the increased latency whilst gaming.

Whilst working on a DSLAM port fault, and performing a co-op call with our DCoE (Diagnostic Centre of Excellence) ... they may deem it necessary for whatever reason, to perform a full card reset. Depending on how many EU's are active on that card, they will all see a reset.

Now before we all start shouting, "Red card, ref" ... this isn't a decision taken lightly and if I had to make a guess on how many times I've witnessed this action being taken, I would say probably twice in one year.
The DCoE advisor has a flow-chart he HAS to follow and I would guess this is the last resort judging from the amount of times I've seen it used in anger.

So, this may be the reason why ??? Pure guess work.