Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Universal Service Obligation  (Read 2264 times)

Oldjim

• Reg Member
Universal Service Obligation
« on: December 20, 2017, 09:53:09 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42423047
Homes and businesses will have a legal right to demand high-speed broadband by 2020, the government has said after rejecting a voluntary offer from BT.

Openreach, owned by BT and responsible for the infrastructure, offered to speed up improvements to 1.1 million rural homes.

The government has promised that the whole of the UK will have access to speeds of at least 10 Mbps by 2020.

BT said it respected the government's decision.

The government believes the regulatory Universal Service Obligation offers "certainty".

Under the plan, broadband providers will face a legal requirement to provide high-speed broadband to anyone requesting it, subject to a cost threshold.
I don't see how they can force an ISP to provide broadband at all
Jim
Plusnet

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Universal Service Obligation
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 10:24:20 AM »

Just been on R2 news about this ............ caught a snippet that said the 2020 deadline is for requests for minimum 10Mbps BB, it doesn't mean all and sundry will actually have this minimum speed by 2020.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 10:54:33 AM »

How can a USO be imposed on multiple organisations? This is what Matt Hancock (the digital minster) was saying on the Today programme.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 01:33:44 PM »

As BS points out, seems that all they’re promising is that people will be able to demand 10Mbps, but the demands can be submitted no sooner than  2020.  It could be long afte that before the request is processed. 

It also seems to replace earlier plans that everybody would actually be receiving 10Mbps by 2020, so isn’t it really just a small step backwards from that original plan?

Worth noting too, it will be subject to a cost threshold.  So even though people will have the right to demand it, an acceptable answer will still be ‘No, you can’t have it’.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 01:36:53 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 06:14:30 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42423047I don't see how they can force an ISP to provide broadband at all
note the cost threshold, so a shed 100 miles from civilisation wouldn't get it :)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 07:09:16 PM »

I was a bed giving the wife a morning cuddle: at 80+ there's nowt else on the menu. ;D TBH I thought the minister was floundering.
IMHO, no matter it's dressed up, the others will take the easy profit and kudos, while BT gets the rest. Plus ca change!

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 08:45:38 AM »

> Worth noting too, it will be subject to a cost threshold. So even though people will have the right to demand it, an acceptable answer will still be ‘No, you can’t have it’.

So in other words the whole thing is completely and utterly meaningless, just political window-dressing.

Reminds me of the Life of Brian scene where a character demands the right to have babies, despite the lack of a womb.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 01:15:03 PM »

In some respect yeah.

It will make a difference to some people, but its not going to be a magic bullet to 100%.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 04:16:25 PM »

The thing is, who sets the cost threshold? And then those most in need of being rescued will be missed out, defeating the whole point of the scheme, or else palmed off with satellite which is also cheating and defeating the point equally.

I appreciate that if you wanted to run a service to Heisgeir / Eileanan nam Manach (whaich are west of N Uibhist), or to Hiort / St Kilda then there might need to be a discussion. But someone needs to think properly about these things.

Near me, people live on Scalpaigh and on Pabaigh (the ones off Skye, in Broadford Bay, btw there are many many duplicates of those names - such as Scalpaigh na Hearadh and Pabaigh an Caolas Bhèarnaraigh near Harris and N Uibhist respectively). They are just a short distance off shore, so many hundred metres, and Broadford exchange NSBFD is nearby with major through-routes and some capacity heading off elsewhere too I would expect, so serious proper capacity is within reach.

I would just love to tackle one of these politicos and ask her/him what actually makes even 'real', makes it any different from Eric Idle and co. Perhaps the vagueness of it was partly intentional, just to put the fear of god into BT and make them think how best they can start to steer their purchasing priorities into long-range friendly technologies now, bringing costs of fibre per metre right down by getting them to lean on suppliers, commit to more volume, sort out their own procedures and so on.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:21:45 PM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 04:33:07 PM »

> magic bullet to 100%.

That's exactly what it says on the tin, misleadingly or sincerely, the moment politicians start using those terms.

I wonder what happened in the past when phones were introduced? Ditto mains electricity. I have stayed in houses that have neither.

I have no mains water, thank god[!] - I have my own deep borehole that I put in along with my next door neighbour - and no mains sewerage or mains gas and no Eric Idle right to "demand" them either. Nor did I have either when growing up on our farm in Staffordshire, on the edge of the Peak District, although we did get mains water (for the cow milking plant) in the 1970s.

But here in Skye we do have mains electricity and DSL and I have good 4G from EE (mere 3G from Three still). The village of Heasta got mains electricity in the 1950s, around the same time as my father in Staffordshire did.