Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: MS + Ext ..help!  (Read 17459 times)

tuk

MS + Ext ..help!
« on: December 11, 2017, 11:33:03 PM »

Want to make sure I'm buying the right bits and not missed anything----

---
Master socket, landline + router currently in living room.
Need to install 2nd landline + wired internet for 2 desktops in other room.
--

Broadband signal has never been great so want to create best signal path within the parameters.

Plan:
Replace master socket in living room.
Install extension in other room, about 8m run from ms.
Move router to other room + phone socket for 2nd landline.

Shopping list:
Master Socket, NTE5A.
Ext Socket, NTE5C MK4.

CW1308 or CAT5e?

Will the NTE5C MK4 really improve signal path for the extension over a plugin bb filter? .. the NTE5C MK4 is not cheap, I could just use 2 NTE5A + bb filter?

[Linked images removed at the request of the owner of those images]

« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:44:06 AM by roseway »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: MS + Ext ..help!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 12:33:17 AM »

Shopping list:
Master Socket, NTE5A.
Ext Socket, NTE5C MK4.

Am not a wiring expert but I think both the NTE5A and NTE5C are both master sockets and you don't want more than one master on a line.. though am sure someone will point out what you actually need.

Apart from the fact, the public is not supposed to mess with master sockets have you considered using WiFi and a DECT phone instead?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 01:00:21 AM »

. . . I think both the NTE5A and NTE5C are both master sockets and you don't want more than one master on a line..

Absolutely correct.

I am struggling to fully understand what is required. The following is somewhat ambiguous --

Do you mean that you are ordering a second telephone line? If yes, then Openreach will do all that is necessary. However if you mean that you would like to have an extension telephone in the other room then that can be a DIY task.

Let's step back a bit, so that we can fully see the current situation. As I understand it, the current master-socket is in room number one. What sort of master-socket is it? A LJU2/1A perhaps?

If you would please clarify the situation, we should be able to devise a plan of action for you to follow. At the moment, don't order anything.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tuk

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 09:11:23 AM »

Basically I need to install an extension from the master socket to another room ...not a 2nd line.

The extension will allow the relocation of the router to other room.
The extension/router will provide wired internet for 2 desktops in other room.
The extension will provide a telephone socket for a 2nd wired telephone in other room.

I figured the NTE5C(master socket) would make a good extension box as it has the filter faceplate.

Also, I will be replacing the original mastersocket ...yes, I'm aware of the warnings!!!

I cant use cordless phone or wireless for the desktops, it has to be the requirements described above.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 09:41:52 AM »

Nooooooooooo!!!!!

You need a filtered faceplate on the existing master socket. On the back of that are connections for data. You will need to run TWO wires through, one for the data with a socket you can plug your router/modem straight in to without a filter and the second for a phone extension which again won't need a filter as it will be connected to the filtered side of the master socket.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 10:02:14 AM »

I think given the more risk of losing some sync speed due to lengthening the line I would have just run cat5e from the current router to the room and put a switch on the end. you could then just use a phone extension lead for your phone etc.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 11:42:11 AM by skyeci »

tuk

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 10:58:41 AM »

You will need to run TWO wires through, one for the data with a socket you can plug your router/modem straight in to without a filter and the second for a phone extension

I would have just run cate5 from the current router to the room and put a switch on the end. you could then just use a phone extension lead for your phone etc.

This is the current setup you are describing, but I'm having issues with router losing connection on incoming calls(on phone in other room using extension cord).

Lets not get off topic ....the router is moving to other room, I just want to know the best way of doing this? ...the router was in the other room before without issue or noticeable signal loss + running 1 wire is better than running 2.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 11:03:51 AM »

This is the current setup you are describing, but I'm having issues with router losing connection on incoming calls(on phone in other room using extension cord).

Frankly if this were my issue I'd fix this first before doing anything else because this should simply not be happening. There is a problem and I'm not sure moving the router will fix it.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tuk

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 11:58:48 AM »

Frankly if this were my issue I'd fix this first before doing anything else because this should simply not be happening. There is a problem and I'm not sure moving the router will fix it.
Fixing the issue is exactly what I'm trying to do ...but I'm not trying to fix it by just "moving the router" I'm replacing everything including the MS.  Moving the router means one less wire while providing wired internet for two PC.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 12:08:30 PM »

provided you understand by moving the MS there is potential to reduce your DS sync as you are extending the length of the line aside from fact the MS is Openreach equipment.

I would now with further reading, replace the MS where it is with a new one.Test sync/phones etc and then consider moving it if that's what you really want to do but by leaving it where it is and sorting the issue and then considering other connection options you could save some sync and avoid moving the MS....

tuk

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 12:14:45 PM »

provided you understand by moving the MS there is potential to reduce your DS sync as you are extending the length of the line aside from fact the MS is Openreach equipment.

I would now with further reading, replace the MS where it is with a new one.Test sync/phones etc and then consider moving it if that's what you really want to do but by leaving it where it is and sorting the issue and then considering other connection options you could save some sync and avoid moving the MS....

I'm not moving the master socket.

Basically I need to install an extension from the master socket to another room ...not a 2nd line.

The extension will allow the relocation of the router to other room.
The extension/router will provide wired internet for 2 desktops in other room.
The extension will provide a telephone socket for a 2nd wired telephone in other room.

I figured the NTE5C(master socket) would make a good extension box as it has the filter faceplate.

Also, I will be replacing the original mastersocket ...yes, I'm aware of the warnings!!!

I cant use cordless phone or wireless for the desktops, it has to be the requirements described above.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:19:00 PM by tuk »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 01:20:56 PM »

Absolutely agree with skieci and Broadstairs.
The current setup should work perfectly and clearly has a fault.
Does the router drop the connection when you answer the main phone (ie the one in the master socket). If it does not then there is a fault with the extension side (wiring polarity reversal perhaps, or a faulty phone?).
If it still drops the connection then it suggests a fault on the Openreach side and they should be engaged to fix it.
 :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 01:24:45 PM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

tuk

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 01:39:34 PM »

The current setup should work perfectly and clearly has a fault.
Does the router drop the connection when you answer then main phone (ie the one in the master socket). If it does not then there is a fault with the extension wiring (polarity reversal perhaps?).
This is exactly the issue and as you say points to the extension cable as the source, which is why I've opted for a proper wired in extension instead of replacing the extension cable & it solves the issue of wired internet for the 2 desktops in other room ...all on one wire.

A few years ago, the room in question did have a wired-in extension from the same ms without issue.  Even with router on a 7m run from ms it will be an improvement on the current situation, who knows between cat5 and filtered faceplate it might be same or slight improvement, at worst any loss will be minimal.

tuk

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 01:55:54 PM »

When installing an extension to the master socket, ...can a master socket box(eg NTE5A) be used instead of a secondary/extension socket box(eg LJU2/3A) ?

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 02:09:29 PM by tuk »

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 02:20:09 PM »

Er, well, you could, but it's not advisable, as you can't snip off the capacitor and resistor like you could on the old masters.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6