Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Who here has a Smart Meter for electricity or gas?  (Read 16686 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Who here has a Smart Meter for electricity or gas?
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2019, 12:43:02 PM »

The remote OFF switch has always been one of my own biggest worries, re smart meters.

That's why I remembered this thread existed, I couldn't see the problem at the time, my thinking was if you paid the bill then that shouldn't be anything to worry about, but that article puts a whole different perspective on it.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2019, 05:44:39 PM »

Playing Devil’s advocate to my own normal inclinations (I hate smart meters!)...  Doesn’t the same principle apply to almost any technology, of “get a job with a manufacturer and write some malicious code”?

I have personally written code that runs on national telecomms network all over the world. A US customer once confirmed my code had surpassed 1 billion calls in a year.  I needed no special security vetting and I suppose I could have incorporated something nasty, and might have got away with it, but chances are a colleague would have spotted it, either immediately or some time later.    I’d say, chances of getting away with it were pretty slim, especially if the payload was some way in the future.

Can’t help thinking that somebody with dastardly plans to bring down a world economy, would want an attack vehicle that stood better odds of success... :-\

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2019, 07:48:09 PM »

Bringing down a phone network would have rather different affects than bringing down the power grid, which would also knock out the phones, let's hope it is very unlikely.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

anything