Chat > Tech Chat

Who here has a Smart Meter for electricity or gas?

<< < (2/13) > >>

gt94sss2:

--- Quote from: sevenlayermuddle on December 11, 2017, 06:40:10 PM ---I have so far refused to accept one and so far, been successful.  But I fear that when an old ‘dumb’ meter reaches end of life, they may well be entitled to replace it with a smart one, your only option being to do without the gas or electric supply. :(

--- End quote ---

At the moment at least, energy firms can't insist customers have a smart meter installed and you are entitled to a'dumb' one if you wish.

I also mean't to post this link in my earlier reply to Broadstairs about how the new SMETS2 meters will transmit data - they won't use your own internet connection - but how they operate differs slightly depending on where you are: https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/media/341298/15595_dcc_fact_sheet-coverage_v7.pdf

JGO:
A former colleague's  experience was not good; basic smart meter installation failed due to poor mobile phone signal strength, and when this was fixed,  adding the personal metering unit failed. Several phone calls to India showed it was not compatible with the basic smart meter.

I wonder if it is the old problem of power engineers trying to work on electronics ?  Had a problem as TV and FM aerials were installed when these houses were built. The installer didn't appreciate that 50 Hz and 500 MHz don't behave the same !-

broadstairs:
Basically they have now said that if I dont make an appointment they will make one for me and it may not be convenient! They also said if I dont want the smart part I can ask the installer to disable it!

I will flatley refuse to have any meter with smart capability enable or not.

Stuart

skyeci:
British gas chased me for months to install. when I kept repeating it's not compulsory to have one they have now supposedly removed me from the list so we will see.

gt94sss2:

--- Quote from: broadstairs on December 11, 2017, 08:19:54 PM ---I will flatley refuse to have any meter with smart capability enable or not.

--- End quote ---

You have to be a bit careful here - they are entitled to replace the meter (it doesn't belong to you) but they can't insist that its replacement is a smart meter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version