Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Sync speed on new line  (Read 12328 times)

Zico

• Reg Member
Re: Sync speed on new line
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2017, 10:20:14 PM »

Well the last few days at work were fun dealing with a VM cab being relocated from one location to another 8 metres along the footway. I would love a VM fibre cab where I am  :'(.

Still, the weird FTTC connection that I have has been up and stable for 17 days and 9 hours. I'm curious now to see if anything changes if I were to reboot the router and see if the Tx/Rx power and sync may change for the better.

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2018, 08:44:27 PM »

Little bump.

Had a power cut just over a week a go. Before this the line had be up and functioning fine aisde of the strange sync stats.

Took a small hit on both downstream and upstream connection speeds.

@WWWombat, wondered if you had the chance to expand on the earlier posts. I've also been uploading to MyDSLWebStats under the same username of Zico.

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2018, 10:28:03 AM »

Another bump.

Well about a week ago 8800NL R2 decided to reboot itself and on re-connecting both down and upstream connections had dropped a little further.

This morning at 8:31am the sync dropped.

Looking at the stats, the Upstream sync  has taken a massive hit from ~11500 to ~6919 and Downstream from ~56000 to ~52000.

Downstream CRC's hit ~2500 from near enough (consistently) nothing since the line was installed. Upstream had a spike of 28 SES, whereas Downstream had a spike of ~750 ES.

I've pretty much been keeping MyDSLWebStats updated since mid December and have had almost no errors or issues until today.

:(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2018, 06:57:50 PM »

I wonder if today's problem is weather related . . . high loads on the electricity distribution system, sudden switching as routes become unavailable, odd spikes and/or brown-outs?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2018, 07:39:22 PM »

No power issues. Locally the weather and snow has been bad all week. Today was no different from the beginning of the week.

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2018, 02:09:52 AM »

Happened to notice that things appeared to be better this evening/morning. Took the decision to update the firmware on the router and then allow the reboot/resync this morning to be the benchmark for Saturday.

Will see what happens tomorrow and if the mysterious errors knock the line off again.

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2018, 12:17:46 PM »

Two further resyncs this morning. 7:19am and 11:04am. Interleaving depth of 1049 was added to the Downstream at 7:19am : (but yet downstream attainable went from ~57 to ~64 and upstream from ~11.4 to ~12.3).

SRNM for down and upstream have been weird over the last week or so with them snaking up and down throughout the day.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2018, 06:08:29 PM »

but yet downstream attainable went from ~57 to ~64 and upstream from ~11.4 to ~12.3).
INP + Interleaving causes the max attainable to be artificially inflated by roughly 10%.
That seems to match your figures.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2018, 06:24:05 PM »

To clarify on the post j0hn made above this one, I'm fairly certain it's the 'delay' parameter which increases the attainable rate while the 'INP' parameter then reduces the sync rate at which the connection can be established at without also affecting the attainable rate.

I know this because when I was playing around with the DSL-AC68U via the TC Console I was able to modify the INP/delay parameters for the downstream, something which no other modem outside of a Mediatek chipset can do and under normal circumstances shouldn't happen, when I increased only the 'delay' parameter my attainable rate increased along with my sync rate and when I added various levels of 'INP' then my sync rate decreased while the attainable rate remained the same. Despite the stability issue of the DSL-AC68U I'm fairly certain it was giving me correct stats at the time.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2018, 06:49:44 PM »

It's probably possible to enable the "improved" attainable rate calculation somehow so that it does take into account the INP requirement.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2018, 11:11:45 PM »

I wouldn't trust anything from the Mediatek chipset.
The fact you can play with UPBO, override the DSLAM, tweak various power settings, etc, shows me they have a very loose attitude to following ITU standards.

The way they calculate the attainable is way off how Broadcoms do. They over inflated the attainable with G.INP the same way they do with interleaving. There's no delay with G.INP, not on Bearer 0 anyway.
Only when my line was on Fastpath was the attainable anywhere near accurate.
My attainable on my DSL-AC68U was some 30Mb+ over inflated at times.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2018, 11:31:09 PM »

I wouldn't trust anything from the Mediatek chipset.
The fact you can play with UPBO, override the DSLAM, tweak various power settings, etc, shows me they have a very loose attitude to following ITU standards.

The way they calculate the attainable is way off how Broadcoms do. They over inflated the attainable with G.INP the same way they do with interleaving. There's no delay with G.INP, not on Bearer 0 anyway.
Only when my line was on Fastpath was the attainable anywhere near accurate.
My attainable on my DSL-AC68U was some 30Mb+ over inflated at times.

G.INP we know was flawed on the Mediatek however so that's very true, however I didn't find my attainable rate to be way off (I didn't have G.INP). But my own experiences can differ from others. I'll leave that there as I don't want to go into a debate over Mediatek and potentially derail this thread :).

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2018, 11:30:55 PM »

Well another few fun developments.

After several re-syncs on the line a few days ago I ended up with interleaving on the downstream. After a couple of days another re-sync and I'm back to no interleaving.

Still appear to be getting the odd spike of errors that appear from nowhere.

Now, as of approx. 22:05 on Tuesday evening, I am getting ~200,000 FEC errors on the upstream that have almost been constant. There are several points at which the FEC errors simply stop before returning back to ~200,000. Screen snip attached from MDWS.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2018, 01:22:13 AM »

I agree that something weird is occurring but I can't deduce any possible causes.  ???
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2018, 10:00:47 PM »

Fec log as of 22:00 tonight.

I'm not sure if it's worth contacting IDnet to see if they can see any error on the line or not.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4