Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Best way to get DSL Stats running 24/7?  (Read 19857 times)

V_R

• Reg Member
Best way to get DSL Stats running 24/7?
« on: December 08, 2017, 12:11:45 PM »

Currently have DSL Stats running on my PC which is on a lot but not 24/7, I'd like to get it setup in a way so its running and monitoring the line all the time.

I'm assuming the best way is via a Raspberry Pi? If so can any one give me a quick run down of what I need and how to do it? Is there a guide out there somewhere?

I've never use one before so I'd appreciate any advice on what I'd need and the process to get it up and running?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:13:55 PM by V_R »
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: Best way to get DSL Stats running 24/7?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 12:35:52 PM »

I would suggest a pi3. I just use the standard install and leave it headless. vnc is included so I access via that if I need to once I had set it up..

I do run mine with a usb rj45 adapter alongside the internal lan as my modem sits in a different network to my router. static internal  ip's  on both.
straight forward and pretty painless tbh. If you have any specific questions then do ask away.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 12:38:24 PM »

I asked for a step by step guide once. Didn't get one :(

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 01:11:03 PM »

https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-kits-and-bundles/products/raspberry-pi-3-starter-kit

I was looking at that, would that work?

Can it just be plugged into my router or switch to be able to monitor and upload to MDSLWS or is there more to it?

I'm happy to run it headless as long as I can login to it one way or another.
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 01:32:49 PM »

That would work perfect. It takes a bit of configuration, but a raspberry pi is probably the best way to run 24/7 DslStats/MDWS with very low power requirements. It can even be powered from your routers USB port.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 01:33:56 PM »

That looks like all the hardware you need to be able to run dslstats. You will need to assemble it and then you will have the base system which will be running the NOOBS operating system. Note you will need an HDMI compatible TV/monitor to do this.

You will then need to download dslstats and configure it to run appropriately as you require.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 01:38:31 PM »

That would work perfect. It takes a bit of configuration, but a raspberry pi is probably the best way to run 24/7 DslStats/MDWS with very low power requirements. It can even be powered from your routers USB port.

Ah yes, I was going to ask what the power drain would be, Didn't know you could power it via USB - even better. :)

That looks like all the hardware you need to be able to run dslstats. You will need to assemble it and then you will have the base system which will be running the NOOBS operating system. Note you will need an HDMI compatible TV/monitor to do this.

You will then need to download dslstats and configure it to run appropriately as you require.

My monitor has several HDMI, I already have a secondary cable to my XB1 so no bother there, But if I can connect to it remotely that would be even better.  What would be the best way to achieve this?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 01:47:26 PM by V_R »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 01:52:05 PM »

Ah yes, I was going to ask what the power drain would be, Didn't know you could power it via USB - even better. :)
the official power supply in that starter kit is 2.4 amps from USB

My monitor has several HDMI, I already have a secondary cable to my XB1 so no bother there, But if I can connect to it remotely that would be even better.  What would be the best way to achieve this?
Yes I was just saying you need the monitor to set it up and can run it headless after that.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 02:34:46 PM »

@ V_R

Perhaps a cheaper RPi option which I have used on my son & daughters lines should you decide to go that way.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,20343.msg356892.html#msg356892

Note, see later in the thread, someone suggested powering the RPi Zero W from the routers USB socket, I adopted this suggestion which worked perfectly and made a further saving on the provision of a PSU for the RPi's, only outlay now being the RPi Zero W, a basic plastic case and a micro SD memory card.

Both units working perfectly to date, see MDWS ID's "cruth211" and "smpay-37"

BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 02:42:23 PM »

@ V_R

Perhaps a cheaper RPi option which I have used on my son & daughters lines should you decide to go that way.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,20343.msg356892.html#msg356892

Note, see later in the thread, someone suggested powering the RPi Zero W from the routers USB socket, I adopted this suggestion which worked perfectly and made a further saving on the provision of a PSU for the RPi's, only outlay now being the RPi Zero W, a basic plastic case and a micro SD memory card.

Both units working perfectly to date, see MDWS ID's "cruth211" and "smpay-37"

Ah interesting, One of my requirements is that I want it as minimal as possible. That looks even better than the Rpi3 kit. Nice one.  :thumbs:

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 02:50:07 PM »

@tiffy can you confirm what hardware you need to set it up please - HDMI cable, other stuff? Can you also give a step-by-step guide to getting dslstats and mdws set up and running on the rpi please?

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 03:22:25 PM »

I just have a headless RPi powered via the USB port of the router and an Ethernet connection to get the stats.

To set the Pi up, you will need an HDMI cable, a USB keyboard and USB mouse. I gave the Pi a static IP address outside of the DHCP range of the router for ease of access via remote desktop from my PC. Just download DSLstats, extract and configure as you would on a PC.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 03:46:32 PM »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 05:24:03 PM »

This seems a good start
Headless Raspberry Pi Setup

Don’t have an extra keyboard or HDMI cable? Here’s how to do a headless Raspbian install on your Pi.
https://hackernoon.com/raspberry-pi-headless-install-462ccabd75d0

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 08:49:13 PM »

I just have a headless RPi powered via the USB port of the router and an Ethernet connection to get the stats.

To set the Pi up, you will need an HDMI cable, a USB keyboard and USB mouse. I gave the Pi a static IP address outside of the DHCP range of the router for ease of access via remote desktop from my PC. Just download DSLstats, extract and configure as you would on a PC.

Further to the links supplied later in the thread by licquorice:

The RPi Zero W does not have an ethernet port, if that is deemed necessary for the initial set up than a micro USB to ethernet adaptor is required, I did buy one which cost more than the RPi Zero itself, found that it was not really necessary, used the in built WiFi connection.

Again, if a direct monitor & keyboard connection is deemed necessary for the initial setup then a micro USB to standard USB adaptor will be required plus a USB hub (this will actually power the RPi itself for the setup) also a micro USB to HDMA adaptor for the VDU.
I found the most cost effective way to get the micro USB adaptors was to buy the "essentials kit" with the RPi Zero, here:
https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-zero/products/raspberry-pi-zero-w?variant=30333236753

An even cheaper option for micro/normal USB conversion which was not available earlier, here:
https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-zero/products/usb-to-microusb-otg-converter-shim

Seems like quite a lot of additional kit required for configuration I admit, I was luck enough to have most already available from early days playing with the original Mk 1 B RPi.

The best guide I found to get the RPi's running headless using VNC Client & Server was here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-raspberry-pi-lesson-7-remote-control-with-vnc

Original inspiration and guidance for the project came from these threads:
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16441.0.html
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15882.0.html

The current working permutation for both of the RPi Zero W's is:
Only physical connection is power using a short micro/standard USB cable to respective router/modem.
WiFi connection to the router/modem.
WiFi connection to laptop PC when required for maintenance, program updates etc..
The only issue I have not managed to overcome to date is getting DSLStats to auto-start on RPi boot, there is quite a long thread on this in one of the attached links, not a big issue to me, I have the daughter/son educated in restarting DSLStats post a power outage be it accidental or otherwise.

As much as I would like to compile a complete step by step guide to all this as requested time does not currently permit, hope this brief guide helps in the mean time.

BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6