Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Best way to get DSL Stats running 24/7?  (Read 19876 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: Best way to get DSL Stats running 24/7?
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2018, 03:42:27 PM »

Its alive!

All up and running last night. Powered by the router using a super short micro USB cable, nice and minimal. I'm going to find a way to mount it to the back of the router so its secured as for now it just resting behind it.

Connecting remotely via VNC.

Only thing I need to do now it work out how to make DSLStats start automatically on boot.

Reading back I see you guys use a bash script. As a complete Linux noob, anyone mind giving me an idiots guide how to do this please?  :-[

Thanks for all the help thus far, it was as I suspected far easier than I thought.  :)

Ref auto-booting on power-up, follow my posts and associated answers earlier in this thread, I had previously given up on auto-booting but with the help of more knowledgable forum members I got there in the end.
I am also not very Linux familiar but found that this particular task is not that complicated if you follow a step by step approach, the information is all there in this thread.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2018, 03:56:02 PM »

Sorry, not very good with posting links...

You posted a perfectly good link without realising it!

The heading "Quote from: roseway on 30-10-2015, 10:31:45" above the quote is a link.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

colin79666

« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2018, 08:04:59 PM »

Just to add my 2 cents worth.

Thanks RichardB for the scripts on page 2 of this thread. Got my Raspberry Pi Zero W up and running today with the latest Raspbian release.. Only thing I had to do extra was modify the permissions on the DSL_start bash script so it could be executed. I also added a .sh extension onto the file name and some tweaks but that was just personal preference, not actually required.

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash
#usually reboots due to power failure
#or maintenance
sleep 30 #wait 30 seconds for DSL to reconnect
nohup /home/pi/dslstats32RPi-6.1/dslstats &
exit

Pi is powered from the Asus RT-AC68U router. I'd hoped to use a USB Ethernet adaptor rather than Wi-Fi but having issues with packet loss with the adaptor, something I've taken up with Pimoroni (where I got the kit from).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:09:43 PM by colin79666 »

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2018, 08:33:20 PM »

Pi is powered from the Asus RT-AC68U router. I'd hoped to use a USB Ethernet adaptor rather than Wi-Fi but having issues with packet loss with the adaptor, something I've taken up with Pimoroni (where I got the kit from).

I initially bought a micro USB to ethernet adaptor for the first RPi Zero W project on DSLStats, it actually cost more than the RPi itself so certainly did not repeat for the second RPi Zero W.
I use a WiFi connection on both units to their respective routers, have found this to be fine with no data loss apparent, can always maintain 100% upload or very close on MDWS, as the RPi's are attached to the back of the routers with sticky backed Velcro the distances are very short and cuts down on a cable, only one physical connection (power) to the RPi's.

See the results for yourself on MDWS "cruth211" and "smpay-37".
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 10:51:50 AM by tiffy »

colin79666

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2018, 08:40:13 PM »

Thanks, ran on Wi-Fi ok but I usually have the Wi-Fi radios power off overnight which is why I wanted to get the Ethernet adaptor. Got a solution for it after much fiddling. Details below in case anyone else runs into this.

The three port USB Hub with Ethernet Micro B (ADP005) from Pimoroni uses a Realtek 8152 chip. On a Windows 8.1 tablet at work I found this to be reliable (no packet loss) but on Linux, including the Raspberry Pi, this chip has known issues. For example this post their own forums: https://forums.pimoroni.com/t/problem-with-three-port-usb-hub-with-ethernet/2467/4

A bit more research led me to a blog post: https://www.erol.name/force-100mbit-ethernet-speed-on-rtl-8152-usb-ethernet-adapter/
It appears the 8152 can have issues correctly auto negotiating the network speed with the network device it is connected to - in this case an Asus RT-AC68u router that support Gigabit speeds. I added the ethtool package to my Pi Zero (it is in the Rasbian repository) and added the following command to the /etc/rc.local file (so it gets set at every boot):
ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off

This appears to resolve the issue by forcing the speed of the adaptor to run at 100Mbit with auto negotiation turned off. I get no packet loss with this setting.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2018, 12:21:25 PM »

Thanks, ran on Wi-Fi ok but I usually have the Wi-Fi radios power off overnight which is why I wanted to get the Ethernet adaptor. Got a solution for it after much fiddling. Details below in case anyone else runs into this.

Don't really understand what the association with "the Wi-Fi Radios being power'ed off overnight" and the router/RPi Wi-Fi communication is, both of which will obviously be power'ed 24/7 ?

Glad you got your Micro B/Ethernet adaptor issue sorted, thanks for posting the solution, will be invaluable for anyone wishing to use this unit in RPi service.

For information, the Micro USB/Ethernet adaptor I use is this unit:
https://plugable.com/products/usb2-otge100
This is the US web site, from memory I bought from Amazon UK, cost, around £12 about 6 monts ago.
Works with RPi Zero W without any issues, is recommended on RPi sites & forums.

I note your MDWS router stat's history is building up nicely, you would appear to have a stable retalively noise free line, G.Inp with retx low profile DS and a very moderate US ES rate, nice stable SNRM already at 3dB target DS, I'am sure some of the more knowledgable forum members will give you a much more detailed analysis if you ask, enjoy.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 12:23:30 PM by tiffy »

colin79666

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2018, 06:17:58 PM »

Don't really understand what the association with "the Wi-Fi Radios being power'ed off overnight" and the router/RPi Wi-Fi communication is, both of which will obviously be power'ed 24/7 ?

Sorry perhaps I should have been clearer. I’ve got the router set to turn off its Wi-fi overnight. That would drop the Pis connection if it was connected wirelessly.

I’ve reported the adaptor issue to Pimoroni along with the solution. Got a nice reply and they are going to circulate it around their staff. I’m hoping they stop selling it or at least give a warning and advice as they sell it as being for the Pi yet, at least in some environments, it doesn’t work out the box as other adaptors do.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2018, 07:56:10 PM »

Sorry perhaps I should have been clearer. I’ve got the router set to turn off its Wi-fi overnight. That would drop the Pis connection if it was connected wirelessly.

Ahh, understand, glad everything is working to your requirements now, happy monitoring.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2018, 09:22:43 AM »

I know this is technically not the right place for this, but as a continuation of the subject..

My RPi Zero has been running DLSStats faultlessly since January, but for some reason in the last few days it seems that VNC is dying after a few hours/days and I can connect until I reboot  the Pi.

I've had it connected to the TV via HDMI so I can check its not the Pi crashing and its all still running fine, just that I can't log in via VNC like I normally would.

I think it has something to do with the updates I ran sometime last week, I just ran the two commands they mention on here.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/raspbian/updating.md

As its just DSL Stats on there and that is all its used for I was thinking of just doing a fresh install and seeing if that fixes it.

But I figured I'd ask you guys first as I'm a Pi noob and you lot might have an idea what's going on! :)

Cheers!
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2018, 11:10:33 AM »

I'am running 2 RPI Zero W's remotely with VNC server/client on my son & daughters VDSL lines without any issues, they are both still running Raspbian Jessie, have not bothered to update to "Stretch" as yet, no real need as DSLStats runs without any issues.
I do update the RPi's regularily, using the commands recommended by "burakkucat":
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
sudo aptitude autoclean
Works for Jessie and Stretch (wait for each to complete between commands)

Wonder if your VNC connection to RPi is by ethernet or Wi-Fi ?

Could try a refresh of VNC server on your RPi or VNC client on your PC/laptop.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2018, 11:21:43 AM »

It's a Zero mate, so its WiFi. :)

I just run these commands...

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot

How does one 'reinstall' VNC on a Pi?
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2018, 01:21:06 PM »

It's a Zero mate, so its WiFi. :)

I just run these commands...

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot

How does one 'reinstall' VNC on a Pi?

It is possible to use a micro USB to ethernet adapter and connect a RPi Zero W to LAN via ethernet so not such an obvious question, I bought one for initial setup of the Zero's but now use Wi-Fi.

Yes, those update commands do work but I was advised by someone who knows Linux well to use the "aptitude" option.

VNC server is installed by default on Raspbian Jessie and Stretch, it's obviously enabled on your system, Raspberry Pi Configuration / Interfaces menu.
You could refresh the VNC server program on the RPi, ie. re-install / over write, not sure of the command format for that, google it.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2018, 01:38:43 PM »

Fair point, you can do that indeed.

Ah I'd not heard of that before, in fact when I read you post originally earlier I just assumed that you were on your phone and it had predicted aptitude from apt and it was supposed to be apt!  :D

Yeah I've tried installing/updating it but it just says I already have the latest version.

Cheers for your help btw. :)

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2018, 04:05:17 PM »

From RPi command prompt, run "man aptitude", this will lshow the full option list for the command and can be compared with "man apt".

I don't pretend to fully understand the advantage of "aptitude" over "apt" commands, I am just accepting the advice and guidance of a very experienced, knowledgable forum member.

Sorry, no further ideas regarding your intermittant issue other than as already suggested re-installing / refreshing VNC server on RPi and VNC client on your monitoring device.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2018, 04:17:27 PM »

I'll have a play when I get back home.

Yeah understood, hopefully he'll see this and offer up some wisdom.  :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

anything