Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Best way to get DSL Stats running 24/7?  (Read 19851 times)

Deathstar

• Reg Member
Re: Best way to get DSL Stats running 24/7?
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2018, 10:26:11 AM »

I paid £47 for the starter kit inc PSU, Case and 16GB card.

Raspberry Pi 3 Official Desktop Starter Kit (16Gb, Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CI5879A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_WlDxAbAZT7629

Took about 30 mins to set up.

Upgraded to the latest Raspbian with Pixel with no issues with VNC. Also set to autostart DSLSTATS in Pi boot.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2018, 10:58:44 AM »

Or you could get a Pi Zero W, with adapters and case from Pimoroni https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero-w for £19 + Del. I think their ref  is /PIM257. You will also need a micro USB card with a fresh image of Raspbian. A 16GB card works fine, but don't try Raspbian Lite unless you are au fait with Linux, as DSLstats needs to run on a GUI.

I set mine up with a screen and mouse/keyboard, then run it headless using the router's USB port for power.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2018, 11:03:41 AM »

Yeah thats the sort of setup I want, hence the Pi Zero kit I posted above. :)

I want it as small as possible, running off USB from the router and when its setup it will be hidden and headless.
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2018, 11:05:38 AM »

The adapters are only needed for setting up. After that the Pi has all it needs (apart from a USB/micro USB power cable). A case is useful for protection, but to be honest mine is in the zippy bag it came in, and is tucked out of sight.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2018, 11:08:22 AM »

Yep, how do you guys go about connecting to it remotely? I use Chrome remote Desktop and Teamviewer regularly as it is, would TV work ok or is there something better?
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2018, 11:16:06 AM »

For a screen I used a small TV with an HDMI input.

You don't need all the GPIO headers, or the metal tin. What I suggested from Pimoroni contains all you need including case, for about the same price as the kit you mentioned (which also has a metal tin which can't be used as it will block the radio signals!) Pimoroni also have 24hr delivery as standard, not 48hr from the people you mention.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2018, 11:18:03 AM »

I was considering posting a list of the steps I followed. It might take me a few days to do it, but would that help?

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2018, 11:37:45 AM »

Yeah I'll set it up on my monitor - it has several HDMI ports.

Can do if you would like, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Just want it right in my head what I'll need before I start. I'm fairly techie with PC's so I'm sure I'll work it out. :)

I'm not too fussed where it comes from tbh, I do prefer the case from the PiHut though, even if it will be hidden out of sight! lol.

It'll cost me much the same either way.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2018, 12:18:05 PM »

[OT]
I agree, the "official" case does look rather smart! I have one as a Print Server.  :)
[\OT]

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2018, 12:26:23 PM »

Ordered the W Zero and the official case from your link. Doubt I'll have time to do anything wit hit until the weekend anyway. I also think I've over complicated things in my head.

Tayta

« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2018, 07:42:39 PM »

I'm currently using a Raspberry Pi Zero W running Raspbian and Pi Desktop/Pixel

I've set it up with VNC so that if I ever reboot (which is never really as its also my VPN Server) I can VNC into it to restart the monitoring.

I probably should point out that my active Eth on the HG612 modem, i've configured onto my local lan subnet.  That way my Pi Zero W can access the modem over WiFi to get the stats.

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2018, 08:09:08 PM »

I'm currently using a Raspberry Pi Zero W running Raspbian and Pi Desktop/Pixel

I've set it up with VNC so that if I ever reboot (which is never really as its also my VPN Server) I can VNC into it to restart the monitoring.

I probably should point out that my active Eth on the HG612 modem, i've configured onto my local lan subnet.  That way my Pi Zero W can access the modem over WiFi to get the stats.
You can set DSLStats to automatically start on reboot.

VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U

Tayta

« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2018, 10:56:45 PM »

You can set DSLStats to automatically start on reboot.

Good shout. I have done that just now!

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2018, 09:33:26 AM »

Its alive!

All up and running last night. Powered by the router using a super short micro USB cable, nice and minimal. I'm going to find a way to mount it to the back of the router so its secured as for now it just resting behind it.

Connecting remotely via VNC.

Only thing I need to do now it work out how to make DSLStats start automatically on boot.

Reading back I see you guys use a bash script. As a complete Linux noob, anyone mind giving me an idiots guide how to do this please?  :-[

Thanks for all the help thus far, it was as I suspected far easier than I thought.  :)

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2018, 11:26:16 AM »

roseway gave the solution here: link

Open Leafpad and create a file called dslstats.desktop as below. Save it in /home/pi/.config/autostart/

Contents of dslstats.desktop:

Code: [Select]
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=DSLstats
Exec=/home/pi/dslstats/dslstats

Save this file, then reboot the RPi.

Sorry, not very good with posting links...

[Moderator edited to fix the link.]
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 06:25:21 PM by burakkucat »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6