Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: O2 Box II vs SpeedTouch 576v6(ADSL2 router stats compare)  (Read 4752 times)

tuk

O2 Box II vs SpeedTouch 576v6(ADSL2 router stats compare)
« on: May 11, 2008, 04:08:26 PM »

Hi Iv just switched from AOL 8MB Plat. to O2 Premium, managed to get my speedtouch working and noticed some interesting differnces in line stats from the supplied O2 router....

Im wondering which would be the best to use so well as seeing how much better it is than AOL, so I devised a little download test..
Many Speeds Tests I tried were wrong in their estimates of my line speed...speedtest said at 1 point that I had 3500kb/s dl rate..but mostly it said 1800-2200Kb/s...I tried overloading my connection with torents and it seemed to max at 1000kb/s pretty much the same as the MS link..so Im guessing this is closer to my real speed....so comments welcome as to what router you guys would use and any tips of accurately testing actual dl rate?

AOL Platinium 8Mb Unlimited (5-6Mb in reality on a good day)
SpeedTouch 576v6
xDSL linestate up (downstream: 5888 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.5 dBm, Up: 12.0 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 32.0 dB, Up: 20.0 dB; snr Margin Down: 12.5 dB, Up: 28.0 dB)

Based on dl of this 600mb file from Microsoft server, the SpeedTouch is almost 1 min faster, but generates more errors:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?familyId=2fcde6ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e&displayLang=en

Method:
1)Restart router in control panel and ensure 0 errors in stats
2)1 click to start MS download file
3)When 500MB has been downloaded, refresh stats page and snapshot
4)Swap Routers keeping same cables ect
5)Repeat test

Uptime on stats page is also the total time taken for 500MB to download (see pic for more accurate numbers)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 04:17:33 PM by tuk »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: O2 Box II vs SpeedTouch 576v6(ADSL2 router stats compare)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 06:30:51 PM »

Line stats do vary with different routers, I dont think Ive ever seen 2 different makes that will report the same stats on the same line.  With attenuation it depends on how the router loads the frequency bins and the average figure.  Some routers are also better than others at handling SNR.  Its also said that if you match the chipset in the router with the chipset in the DSLAM then the line will be more stable.  It can also depend on the firmware version in the router... or even the chipset.

As to the best indicator of download speeds then possibly the best indicator I'd personally prefer would be grabbing a copy of NetMeter and seeing what that records your throughput speed as.

Too many errors will obviously slow your connection down although such few as reported will probably be un-noticable.  Noise (that can be the cause of errors) is often random and dependant on whats happening at any particular moment in time.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker