Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Yet Another Zen Thread  (Read 5779 times)

highpriest

• Reg Member
Re: Yet Another Zen Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 08:31:08 PM »

Any other comments from current Zen customers?

Also LLU vs BT Wholesale - does that make a real difference for the end user?

Thanks.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 11:20:23 PM »

All I know is that a friend of mine recently got FTTPod with Zen and he says his speeds are excellent and they don't drop below 260Mbps.  He's only had it about 6wks though.

The congestion thing may be localised.  They have been very busy this year upgrading ~450 exchanges.   Bear in mind some of those may be head-end and take a FTTx feed from smaller exchanges, so I guess it could be a bit hit and miss if capacity in some areas was more than planned.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 09:39:53 AM »

All I know is that a friend of mine recently got FTTPod with Zen and he says his speeds are excellent and they don't drop below 260Mbps.  He's only had it about 6wks though.

Are you sure that Zen are still selling FTTP On Demand? AFAIK they only sold it during 2013-2014 on a trial basis but happy to be proved wrong...

Or perhaps you meant native FTTP?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 10:17:06 AM »

That's what he told me.  However he's a longstanding family friend and not au fait with dsl technology and I just took him at his word as he said his employers paid for it. He wants help setting up wifi extension and separate network for his home office, but as he's not local I've not seen it first-hand yet.  I did ask for some photos of what he said was on the pole.   As far as he is concerned he has the speed and that's all he cares about not how its provided.

Ive just done a BTw check on his line and it looks like you may be right as it says FTTP is available. 

I do know he has the Zen 300Mbps package.

---
ETA
Just had a thought...  wouldnt the checker say FTTP available now anyhow?   I've got to go out to an appt now, but if I get chance later I'll check some nearby addresses.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:27:00 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 11:19:17 AM »

Just had a thought...  wouldnt the checker say FTTP available now anyhow?   I've got to go out to an appt now, but if I get chance later I'll check some nearby addresses.

Correct, once FTTPoD is installed, the BT/OR dsl checker is updated to 'WBC FTTP' instead of showing 'FTTP on Demand'. Only way to know for sure if he has On Demand is to check the neighbours results. Btw is that screenshot his address or one of his neighbours? Because if its his address, it makes no sense at all as he already has FTTP installed!!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:22:19 AM by psychopomp1 »

shadow4dog

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 02:52:08 PM »

I'm a current Zen customer, who used to be Plusnet customer.

The transfer from Plusnet went smoothly. I had a small issue with IPV6, which it transpired, needed a new linecard in the FTTC box - this was done in a matter of days with excellent customer service that kept me informed of progress.

I'm not on their backhaul network but have excellent speeds, 2ms better latency and IPV6.

That's about it!

Tim

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 03:10:18 PM »

That's what he told me.  However he's a longstanding family friend and not au fait with dsl technology and I just took him at his word as he said his employers paid for it. He wants help setting up wifi extension and separate network for his home office, but as he's not local I've not seen it first-hand yet.  I did ask for some photos of what he said was on the pole.   As far as he is concerned he has the speed and that's all he cares about not how its provided.

Ive just done a BTw check on his line and it looks like you may be right as it says FTTP is available. 

I do know he has the Zen 300Mbps package.

---
ETA

Just thought of something else: if that screenshot is of his address, then he may not have FTTP/FTTPoD after all. His employer may have ordered a leased line for him from Zen (still pure fibre of course), in which case the BT checker would remain unchanged.

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 03:37:08 PM »

I'm a current Zen customer, who used to be Plusnet customer.

The transfer from Plusnet went smoothly. I had a small issue with IPV6, which it transpired, needed a new linecard in the FTTC box - this was done in a matter of days with excellent customer service that kept me informed of progress.

I'm not on their backhaul network but have excellent speeds, 2ms better latency and IPV6.

That's about it!

Tim

Good to know, thank you Tim :)

Did you have any of those single-threaded download speed issues?
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 09:24:31 PM »

Btw is that screenshot his address or one of his neighbours? Because if its his address, it makes no sense at all as he already has FTTP installed!!

Yes its his.   I've run his immediate neighbours through the checker and it says the same.  Moving a few houses away I got some really weird results, and a couple that returned no result at all  ???
So I then tried the next street which also gave similar results.   It's not a leased line for certain.

TBF when he first got it and was trying to describe what was on the pole I was even wondering if it was g.fast which is why I asked for photos.   However his exchange whilst in the region of one of the original trials, is not one that I can see on the latest list and he is nearer Peterborough.     Which is when he came back with on demand, but insisted it came from the pole.  So gawd knows now, but I think the checker rules out g.fast.

Years ago I used to go down there a lot, but because of my limitations these days, he usually comes up here for family occasions or visits.   Next time we speak, I shall nag again for photos rather than just listen to him brag about his speeds.
-----
Pages: 1 [2]

anything