Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Openreach’s FTTP Rollout May Add £7 Per Month to UK Broadband Prices  (Read 5269 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Openreach’s FTTP Rollout May Add £7 Per Month to UK Broadband Prices
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 12:33:26 AM »

I would far prefer to pay Openreach, directly, for the infrastructure that I use and then pay my CP for the service(s) to which I subscribe.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 12:35:42 AM »

Once Europe is gone there is no need for Ofcom.  :-X

Catch-22 in Brexitland (Hard Brexiters have just discovered Britain is weaker than Ireland) likely means "continued regulatory alignment" for the whole UK.

At least until someone lets the cat out of the bag regarding Russian shenanigans.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 12:37:38 AM »

I would far prefer to pay Openreach, directly, for the infrastructure that I use and then pay my CP for the service(s) to which I subscribe.

If we're ever to step away from national pricing, then I can see that being the solution.

It allows all sorts of adjustments to the concept of contract terms too.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 12:57:00 AM »

What you think of today's press news from ofcom?

For me, I am more than happy to pay an extra £7 per month to help Openreach to roll out FTTP in nationwide

Sorry max, but I read the story as an implication that Ofcom won't allow these charges to happen. They won't allow copper to be retired. They won't do anything that makes it plausible for Openreach to follow a sane upgrade path.

While Openreach have been working to promote some semblance of cooperation in the market, it feels that Ofcom have been moving in the opposite direction, feeding adversity.

At the moment, Ofcom seem to be treading a path to entice "competition" into the full-fibre market. This is really to create a market-entry opportunity for an altnet, while simultaneously denying the ability to compete to Openreach. The pro-competition lobby in government will see this as win-win.

It seems to me that Openreach are going to have a choice:
a) Go all-out on copper G.Fast. A proper Swisscom, FTTS-style shortened copper setup
b) Go all-out on FTTP under their own steam, forgetting any of the concessions they've been asking for
c) Go all-out on legal appeals

Link here: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/12/openreachs-fttp-rollout-may-add-7-per-month-uk-broadband-prices.html

But I can see installation charge £250 that's pretty good in my view.

I don't see a £250 installation charge in the story.

I see that Ofcom invented an average cost to Openreach that is half of what Openreach themselves say. But a "cost per home passed" deployment cost to Openreach is not the same thing as an installation charge paid by the punter.

Simple maths: If there is a 33% takeup, then £250 per-home passed turns into £750 per-home-connected.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 03:14:20 AM »

yep remove ofcoms silly artificial arrangement

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 09:29:09 AM »

Once Europe is gone there is no need for Ofcom.  :-X

Do you mean OFCOM per se or any form of regulation?
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 09:52:48 PM »

The former. "Light touch" regulation will be required . . . for the good of this Nation. ::)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 11:39:51 PM »

The former. "Light touch" regulation will be required . . . for the good of this Nation. ::)

Yep.  It really is complicated.  IMHO OFCOM has pandered to the whims of a certain unbundled ISP, regardless of may be best for long term broadband in the UK.
I'm not saying BT are saints, because IMO they would get try get away with what they could.   

But a certain company is far from whiter than white, and its why I personally would not use them after my previous ISP was taken over.  I have tried my damndest to remain neutral and have on many occasions recommended them if I felt that would be best option for the EU.

However over the past few years,    I've seen some pretty border-line stuff of which I'm not sure I approve of, because to TBF it really is dirty tactics.  eg
  • Last year a personal friend of mine told me about a link to go sign which supposedly was to get OFCOM to force Openreach to provide better speeds.  When I actually looked in detail, it was a petition to get OFCOM to force the separation of BT and Openreach.   Hidden in the background was this petition group was set up by TT & Sky & a couple of other lesser known SPs under a different name.  There is no way the average Joe Bloggs would realise what they were really signing
  • Earlier this year I saw numerous post on my Facebook timeline (paid ads as FB recognises I talk broadband) supposedly campaigning for better broadband in the UK.  When I looked closer, to join what you were actually doing is sending an email to OFCOM which started something like
    "Dear Sharon.  I believe that in order to provide faster broadband in the UK it would be in the best interests for Openreach to be separated from BT"  Once again the backers of this hidden under another name were 'LLU' ISPs.

Whilst my memory is like a sieve these days, the info should be out there that I am not telling porkie pies about this.   Its just very well hidden.   I think I may have mentioned this previously, but if you search under the correct name which I wish I could remember now, all will be revealed.

I think the other thing that opened my eyes further is the way a certain news channel handled the outbreak of the TalkTalk hacking scandal.     I remember that night very well because I was sat holding my dads hand not wanting to move because at this point he only had function of his hand for 'yes' or 'no'.   By default the TV in his room was tuned into a certain station and I couldn't move to change channels as I didnt want to let go.     When his time came..  I got to see news reports from other stations and boy what a difference on the spin and out to decimate a competitor.   :'( 

There is more..   but I've said enough... as its taken me back 2yrs and thus I'm out of steam.  :'( :'( 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 12:00:54 AM »

b*cat nods, knowingly.  :flower:

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 07:27:43 PM »

In the last month or so BT Availability Checker now shows FTTP on demand in this area but I can't afford this service nor could I make full use of it and my current provider EE will increase the broadband price by 0.75p in January 2018 +1p increase in calls outside the All Call Plan.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything