Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Initial thoughts on TP-LINK VR2800  (Read 2091 times)

loveextasy

Initial thoughts on TP-LINK VR2800
« on: December 04, 2017, 10:36:03 AM »

Hi all,

Some of you may remember me who has been suffering from a randomly rebooting ZyXel SBG3300 for more than 2 years since got it.... after 3 RMAs still happening I finally decided to replace it, and on Black Friday (or Cyber Monday can't remember) Amazon suddenly have the VR2800 on offer for £129 and seems a lot of good reviews then I decided to give it a go :)

Last Thursday I got it and installed immediately. It was well packed, seems good quality.

Connects my ISP PlusNet seamlessly, and kept running since 1st installation until Sunday when I last checked, no restart at all, very happy with the stability. Even my unstable DSL connection with the SBG3300 seems improves a lot - when checked connection status it reports constant connection for more than 3 days, which was very rare compared with SBG3300. WiFi improved as well - was using a separate router (Linksys EA6700) upstairs for AC connection and copy speed is around 40MB/S with the desktop upstairs as well, but when switched to VR2800 placed downstairs the speed went up to 50MB/s...think it was the help of Beam Forming.

So far, really happy with it, and will keep an eye on it if any issues. Hope this will help some people.

btw, no idea how to set up the QoS in VR2800 though, when QoS turned off everything seems alright, when turned on with some applications set to high priority I was having difficulty even using the browser - hope anyone could help please?

Cheers,
Chong

GaryW

Re: Initial thoughts on TP-LINK VR2800
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 10:49:52 AM »

Be interesting to see how well the VR2800 works with other ISPs.  I briefly had a VR2600 on BT Infinity (well, "Faster Broadband" which is the same thing) and it had to be rebooted every day as it stopped being able to find the DNS server - even if you manually entered the IP addresses of the DNS servers.  This was apparently a fairly common issue when it was used with Infinity...and it's the only router I've ever used on my line that has had this problem (HH5a, Smart Hub, Billion 8900ax-2400 were all fine...although obviously the Smart Hub has its own special issues  :D ).
EE 4G - Huawei B618s-22d - BT WHWF

anything