Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Vodafone - switch restrictions  (Read 4117 times)

Sambat

• Just arrived
Vodafone - switch restrictions
« on: November 28, 2017, 10:32:09 PM »

Hi, I started a new contract with Vodafone today, and spent most of the day troubleshooting my DLink 24 port hub, in the end I concluded it was not working so I changed to a Netgear 24 port.
I eventually called VF customer service who tells me I am only allowed 4 Ethernet connections, and connecting any more would “dilute” my BB speed....
I have searched but can only find comments concerning their router, and customers not being allowed to use their own router.

Is anyone else aware of this restriction, and of course is there anyway round it, otherwise I need to move to an ISP that will allow a switch connection (and trying to get that info seems quite difficult)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Vodafone - switch restrictions
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 10:57:50 PM »

That's absolute nonsense. They can't control the number of devices you have on your LAN. Either they've got some really weird ideas or (more likely I think) the person you were talking to didn't understand what he was talking about.
  Eric

Sambat

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 03:07:57 PM »

Well Vodafone won’t budge. Also noticed today that quite a few sites are blocked. I might be able to get round it by changing some of the limited settings on their router, but really why should I pay to be restricted.
Signed back up with BT today and qualified asa new customer so get some vouchers back.
It seems now that the BB choices are getting smaller as they now all seem to be owned by just 2 or 3 companies.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 04:17:34 PM »

I think you made the right decision. Personally I wouldn't touch Vodaphone with the proverbial bargepole.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 08:19:35 PM »

I can only re-affirm what Eric has already said.    Last year when on a cost cutting spree I actually considered migrating to Vodafone.  However when I dug deeper there were a few things I had strong doubts over and I backed out quite soon :

1) They use DLM standard profile.  This may not be of much concern to you, but at the time (and still is to a lesser extent) I was aware what impact that could have on my line which sees sporadic errors.
2) They would not entertain the thought of the EU using any router other than their own.  They are a little more relaxed on this issue these days, thanks to intervention and action by some of kitz forum regs.   However, they still  usually insist that you use one of the MCT approved routers before issuing you with the login info to be able to connect on their network.  :/

The no of LAN side device info they gave you.. is rubbish.   :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 10:48:15 PM »

The restrictions to Web sites is down to how you first set-up the Vodafone modem it's not very obvious
at the start and you will end up being blocked from certain sites the only way to fix this is by contacting VF via Phone or use their Web site to reset this parental lock.

Been there done it will never consider VF as a Broadband Provider again, first line support was humorously embarrassing at first and the second line support was like something out of a monty python sketch the dead parrot (HHG2500).

Chris T

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 01:55:08 PM »

I’ve got 8 LAN devices plus two switches connected to our VF Connect router without any issues. The switch built into the router isn’t very reliable in terms of devices and in particular media devices talking to each other over the local wired network so it’s best avoided and only used to connect to the secondary switch.   

machare

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 12:19:49 AM »

My 2nd hand Zyxel VMG8924-B10A works fine with my Vodafone VDSL2 service with about a dozen devices, half wired and half wifi. The Vodafone router is unused.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 12:26:05 AM »

Plug one switch in to the router and plug everything else in to the switch. Then tell them you only have a single Ethernet device connected to the router!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 03:45:16 PM »

Hi, I started a new contract with Vodafone today, and spent most of the day troubleshooting my DLink 24 port hub, in the end I concluded it was not working so I changed to a Netgear 24 port.
I eventually called VF customer service who tells me I am only allowed 4 Ethernet connections, and connecting any more would “dilute” my BB speed....
I have searched but can only find comments concerning their router, and customers not being allowed to use their own router.

What a load of nonsense. Unless - they have implemented technical limitations on their router that prevents it from learning more than a certain number of mac addresses (to prevent their customers from plugging a switch in).

The blocked sites - by default they may have enabled their filtering system. You should be able to take that off quite easily.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite