Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Advice needed - Is my line capped/banded?  (Read 12748 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen
Re: Advice needed - Is my line capped/banded?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 10:28:42 AM »

@ V_R Plusnet say

"Minimum guaranteed access line speed: 63.5Mbps
This is the minimum speed you should expect to achieve on your line."

I'm connected at:

Downstream rate = 75424 Kbps that higher than BT estimated at 63.5Mbps.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 10:30:23 AM »

So despite the connection speed, am I below the MGALS?

No. I think all speed estimates, and the MGALS, are in terms of what's commonly referred to as the "sync speed", not speedtest results or IP profiles.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 10:32:42 AM »

I think PN only interesting look at BT Estimated Sync Rate under Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 10:39:23 AM »

They wanted him to do a DLM reset. He refused saying it would 'upset the ports' whatever that means.

No idea what he meant about upsetting the ports as its nothing to do with that.   However resetting the DLM wouldn't really achieve anything anyhow.
It would remove INP=3 (interleaving) and take you back to the open profile.   Then within 48hrs DLM will take you back to 6dB and INP=3 which is the default profile.   

From default profile DLM will monitor your line and if your are on a Huawei cab apply G.INP.  This stage can take a couple of weeks or so.

So really its a good job the engineer didn't do a DLM reset because all it would have done is pushed you back to where you were at the beginning of Nov.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 10:48:38 AM »

I got message from Galdalf as he say to me

Hi there.

Whilst we can arrange a visit, leaving notes for the engineer to not contact you but to perform a task, the engineer would generally only be able to reset the line (by calling their support team, Diagnostic Centre of Excellence) after a fault has been rectified.

If they find no fault with the service regardless of whether they visit your property or reset the line, the £65 charge will likely be applicable.

It's worth noting that banding isn't always considered a fault with the service. Speeds can be banded for a range of issues, in some cases to help stabilise a connection.

As your speeds are towards the top end of the estimates/the most a FTTC service can be provisioned on, it's likely that they'll find no fault.

On the other hand, you may get lucky and they may find a fault.

But I just reply to him saying below

Thanks for getting back to me. I can wait until after xmas see what happen to DLM control it. It's might restored the line back to 80Meg from 74Meg, if that didn't happen after xmas, I will get back to you to get an engineer out.

So, hopefully DLM will removed banded on my line sooner or later as long I keep the modem ON at all times and leave it alone. So, if that does restored it back to 80Meg, great it would save me £65 call out charge if no fault is found.

Thanks for getting back to me. Will let u know soon after xmas.

And finally Galdalf reply

No problems at all. Hopefully you'll get a nice little x-mas present from DLM, that the banding is removed.

Keep us posted. -Anoush

But as of now I give up. And will accepted 74Meg because I getting throughput speed of 70Meg (before was 75Meg) so losing 5Meg is hardly any difference which I am now accepting it and move on. Let DLM do it own things itself.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 11:22:02 AM »

No. I think all speed estimates, and the MGALS, are in terms of what's commonly referred to as the "sync speed", not speedtest results or IP profiles.
That's what I was afraid of! Would have been nice to have at least something to go back to them with....

Max, please don't turn this into another 'Ermahgerd my connection' thread. You have several as it is!

No idea what he meant about upsetting the ports as its nothing to do with that.   However resetting the DLM wouldn't really achieve anything anyhow.
It would remove INP=3 (interleaving) and take you back to the open profile.   Then within 48hrs DLM will take you back to 6dB and INP=3 which is the default profile.   

From default profile DLM will monitor your line and if your are on a Huawei cab apply G.INP.  This stage can take a couple of weeks or so.

So really its a good job the engineer didn't do a DLM reset because all it would have done is pushed you back to where you were at the beginning of Nov.

Yes I am on a Huawei cabinet. Looking back it looks like interleaving was applied on the 7/11, I guess it could take a month or more?

I'm .Sam. on https://www.mydslwebstats.co.uk/Container.htm

Thanks for all the info folks. :)
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 12:00:40 PM »

Max, please don't turn this into another 'Ermahgerd my connection' thread. You have several as it is!

About an hour ago or so..  I was about to start and split this topic because I was beginning to find it confusing when the topic changed back to banding on Max's line.
I actually had the panel open to do so - but because some of posts referenced others - and it would just have ended up making 2 disjointed threads :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2017, 12:03:23 PM »

Yes I am on a Huawei cabinet. Looking back it looks like interleaving was applied on the 7/11, I guess it could take a month or more?

I wish I could give you more info about time scale.  I've seen it come back on some lines within days..  yet there are other lines which have taken many weeks. 
-----

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 05:29:42 PM »

Fair do's. I'll just sit tight and see what happens, we have Xmas coming up anyway, far more important stuff to deal with for the time being!

Thank you all for your help and replies.
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 12:46:45 PM »

access line speed means sync speed, so no.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 02:05:30 PM »

So an interesting turn of events.

I've just got a reply from Plusnet about this issue. (after a week!) Here is their response...

"I have tested the connection and the downstream sync speed is currently 66.4mbps. The workplace profile we have at Plusnet had been set at 63.6mbps due to the last Delta Report from the Exchange which was received on 26/11/2017, reporting a speed of 63.6mbps, so in that respect it was "banded". I have manually increased the speed profile to the maximum, if you now drop the sync on the router for 20 seconds it will update with the new speed profile, and all things being equal you should then see the correct sync speed."

However I've just done that and its not made any difference.

If you want to see my line stats look for .Sam. on https://www.mydslwebstats.co.uk/Container.htm

Any ideas?

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 02:33:53 PM »

I think PN is just increase your PN ip profile to maximum 63.5 Mb to match BT delta report but they won't increase it to match your sync rate as your line still banded, and probably never removed off for a long while.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 04:39:08 PM »

I think PN is just increase your PN ip profile to maximum 63.5 Mb to match BT delta report but they won't increase it to match your sync rate as your line still banded, and probably never removed off for a long while.

Come again?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2017, 05:33:44 PM »

I think you just got the same CS rep as what Bestgear did here.
Someone is getting confused between the IPprofile and the DLM profile.    :'(

DLM controls the sync speed banding.    The workplace profile (otherwise known as the PN Stable rate) is based on the IPprofile and affects throughput speed.
Them adjusting the 'workplace' profile will have no absolutely no impact on your sync speed.  Only an Openreach Engineer can remove DLM banding.  :/

-----

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 07:47:18 AM »

I've had a similar issue with my Zen account.
I returned onshore to find my sync rate had dropped from 74Mb down to 17Mb and my Netgear D7000 had frozen. I rebooted that and logged an issue with Zen and we agreed to leave it a week to see if it would come back up. It did but got stuck at bang on 49Mb. I called Zen again (As per their request after the week) and they said they would send an engineer out. At this point I was quite busy with things in life so declined.
Fast forward 9 weeks and still no joy so Zen sent out an engineer. Line checked and tested all OK so a profile reset was done. It looks like I'll be playing the waiting game again for G.inp to be re-applied and my interleaving depth lowered from 1021.

If I remember correctly, It took my line about a year to get up to its maximum level from when it first went live and ran happily there for 2.5 years. It seems happy where it is now at 52.2Mb. Don't really notice much difference to be fair.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything