Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: surge protectors  (Read 4911 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
surge protectors
« on: May 11, 2008, 09:23:53 AM »

Yesterday afternoon I was fiddling away quite happily on the machine, but all the time aware of a fairly hefty thunderstorm rumbling away about twelve miles away.
I was thinking that if it came my way, I would shut down the PC just in case.

This got me thinking about my surge protector, (which is a combined protector/ups unit) and of something that a techie told me some time ago,...............that a surge protector, having once protected you from a surge becomes by virtue of that non-effective and should be replaced.
One surge............change unit.

Is that correct, or was he just trying to sell me something.

Grateful for any advice and comments.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Re: surge protectors
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 09:39:11 AM »

That's interesting one... exactly how would you know you've had a power surge?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 10:12:26 AM »

That's interesting one... exactly how would you know you've had a power surge?

My unit has a bevy of LEDS, one of which is supposed to change colour if a surge has been fended off, but the instructions don't say anything about the need, or otherwise,  to replace

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 10:33:21 AM »

I don't expect that there's a single answer to the question. It will presumably depend on what sort of surge suppressor is incorporated.

If the UPS is the kind which in effect runs continuously from the battery, with the mains input keeping the battery charged, then the surge suppression is an automatic consequence of the design, not an added extra. In this case, if the UPS is still working after a surge then it will still have surge suppression capability.

But if the UPS is the kind which normally runs from the mains via a surge suppressor, and the battery only takes over during a power cut, then I guess that it's possible for the surge suppressor to be damaged in the course of doing its job.

All this is non-expert speculation by the way.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 10:56:51 AM »

Thank you, roseway, for your time and trouble.

My unit is of the second description.............will off to their website to see if there is anything there.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 02:25:21 PM »

I can only speak for what I know and that is that all Belkin units are guaranteed for life and the extension lead type anti-surge protectors come with something like £50,000 insurance.
"Not sure about insurance on the UPS units"

But it's important to periodically carry out both a visual check and a physical test.
(Green is good, orange or red is bad).

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 04:17:03 PM »

Wether the unit needs replacing depends on how much energy has gone into it compaired to its rating. and yes if the surge was over the rating of the protector then it may be limping and needs a replacement. How to tell is tricky

The first job of a protector is to stop erronious waves of energy comming through the mains to which modern intergrated electronics are sensitive to.

Lightning is a different ball game as here you typicaly get a 50:50 chance. Lightning can pass so much energy down mains/telephony the only way to be sure is to physicaly unplug everything. you can easly get enough energy that it blasts though the protector and toasts something on the far end.

still definately worth having a protector for when your not around to unplug everything.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 04:25:49 PM »

Thanks, all, for the comments.

Well. my unit is not "guaranteed for life" but does offer the "insurance" pay out if it fails in it's task.

I hope I never have to put it to the test, but if I do...........will then probably replace it to be on the safe side.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 04:26:16 PM »

Yep, it's worth spending £15-20 on surge protection for £500+ worth of computer equipment.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 04:29:01 PM »

Meant to say above, in esponse to ezzer's points that if I think a lightning storm is too close for comfort, I do shut down and unplug evrything that I can unplug.

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 06:16:05 PM »

If a bolt of lightning can jump from the sky down to earth it will quite probably be able to jump any breaker/suppressor
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 06:48:37 PM by jabns »

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 06:57:33 PM »

As you say jabns  you won't stop a direct hit on your wiring but it is the currents induced in overhead wires by nearby lightning strikes that most often cause the damage.