Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Uber - 57 million hacked, ransom paid, covered up  (Read 14026 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Uber - 57 million hacked, ransom paid, covered up
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2017, 12:01:59 PM »

Well said Kitz.... I think we are indeed going backwards and I worry for my grandkids the oldest of whom is 14. What kind of world are we passing on to them. We try to instill into them the need for getting a good education but these days it seems to do no good at all. I think sometimes the best ting to do is to do an apprenticeship to be either a self employed plumber or sparks and not bother with higher education.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2017, 12:08:07 PM »

The problem with education is that it's out of date now and not suitable for our post-industrial age.

The 3 R's was all well and good for the British Empire but these days our jobs are all under threat from robotics, AI and disruption.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 12:28:47 PM by Dray »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2017, 04:56:29 PM »

In some ways I agree that education is not as good as it should be but probably for different reasons. Firstly I was watching a program the other day where a young man of around mid to late 20's had never heard of Charles Dickens and he was taking part in a program where the episode in question was being filmed in Bleak House (Broadstairs)  :o  I also am always quite amazed that people cannot do simple mental arithmetic, spelling especially on social media is atrocious. Yes it all matters, a good basic education is required as well as the more advanced stuff for science and engineering.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2017, 07:31:28 PM »

Kitz I understand the view you coming from, and I personally dont like the way things are going with costs and wages, but it is what it is, we are a capitalist country.

The only rights people have in this country to wages is the minimum wage, and thats it, as long as cabbies get more then that then they have no legal argument on that basis, a moral one maybe, but not legal.

Where i disagree is the idea that black cabs are a better service, and people only flock down to uber for ££ and no other reason, I think its already been explained in both threads there is other reasons to use uber aside from cost.  also uber's surge charging makes them more expensive than competitors at times, but they still get the business at those prices.

I find myself agreeing with ronski that the prime reason for the actions in london seem to be to protect the livelyhood of the black cab drivers rather than concerns for so called safety.  The black cab drivers may find if they setup their own app, GPS tracking, booking service, and stop using meters and move to pre announced pricing then they may fare much better, even if they charge similar prices to what they do now.  They just need to adapt.  This is coming across from them as trying to protect a status quo and preventing an industry from modernising.  There will always be people who continue to use their services as is, generally I see their prime market as affluent people who need to move around different parts of london for their work and are ok with hailing cabs.  The customers they in danger of losing is those not so affluent and like the convenience of pre booking and paying on phone.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2017, 08:39:48 PM »

The black cab drivers may find if they setup their own app, GPS tracking, booking service, and stop using meters and move to pre announced pricing then they may fare much better, even if they charge similar prices to what they do now.  They just need to adapt.

There's already several apps for London Blackcabs
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/142333-best-taxi-apps-uber-alternatives-to-get-you-a-cab-in-london

I dont think that mentions the one I was thinking of, whereby blackcabs can bid against mini-cabs for fares at a fixed price.

we are a capitalist country.

The way things are going, soon everything will be held by just a few corporations in each sector.  As above we appear to be going backwards when it comes to maintaining living standards.   
The employment situation means that employers can get away with min wages and zero hour contracts.  (note minimum wage != living wage for man with family).   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2017, 11:59:02 PM »

I was actually brought up in Glasgow, a council estate, or ‘corporation scheme’, as known in these days.   Glasgow black cabs, unlike many provincial towns, did and still do actually mimic the London service, with a  single owners association, a ‘Knowledge’ test, and other tight regulations.

Our estate’s taxi rank was ahead of its time, had its own App, mid 1960s.    It took the form of a telephone hanging on a pole at the taxi rank.   If there was no taxi present, you got to call one for free. :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2017, 03:01:05 AM »

This is the end game of capitalism.  You have the money drawing towards a few entities, and for that to happen there "has" to be losers as there is only so much money.  Without injection of money it would collapse a long time ago, but instead money gets injected via loans (credit) and it keeps on going.  The tax and social security system also keeps things ticking over as well just about.

Now i dont think the black cabs are about to go out of existence, but with a major new player they will obviously lose customers, some drivers as a result may quit, and income levels may drop, but it is what it is.  The taxi service is evolving. If you manipulate things by banning companies and so forth, you are moving away from a free market which is what the UK is supposed to be about.

A lot of people already have to get by on min wage, zero hours and so on, I dont know why taxi drivers would be exempt from this, if you going to stop these kind of practices, it needs to be done across all types of work, not just for taxi drivers.  Change employment laws etc. to fix it. Wont be fixed by a tory government tho.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2017, 03:05:06 AM »

The black cab drivers may find if they setup their own app, GPS tracking, booking service, and stop using meters and move to pre announced pricing then they may fare much better, even if they charge similar prices to what they do now.

Here you go, this is the one I was thinking of earlier but couldnt recall it's name at the time.  - cab:app - Invented by a London taxi driver and launched in 2011
You can see from this vid that it already does practically all you said they need to do.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVv9ivJwz0s[/youtube]

Blackpool was the 2nd town in the UK (outside of London) where our Hackney cabs have been using cab:app since 2012.  (Uber came to the UK in 2012 btw)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2017, 03:08:17 AM »

thanks, I will check the app to see how good it is.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2017, 03:25:13 AM »

A lot of people already have to get by on min wage, zero hours and so on, I dont know why taxi drivers would be exempt from this, if you going to stop these kind of practices, it needs to be done across all types of work, not just for taxi drivers.  Change employment laws etc. to fix it. Wont be fixed by a tory government tho.

It really shouldn't be like that.. and we shouldnt think like that.   As I said above minimum wage is not a living wage for anyone to support a family.   
Yes it needs to be fixed across all types of work and no the Tories wont fix it because it doesn't affect them.   More and more employers are getting away with paying min wage and zero hour contracts. Min wage should be for those who have no trade, experience or professional qualifications... not for those who have spent years learning a trade or getting qualifications.  It's why I said we are going backwards :'(
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2017, 01:21:49 PM »

Sadly app is broken for me.

On the registration screen, it asks if I want to use a promo code, since I dont have one I select no, but then nothing happens.  It tries to work if I put something in the promo box but rejects the code due to it been invalid and wont proceed that way either.

--edit--

Ok registered now after entering a valid promo code.

I see it has options to prebook (which uber does not), I will try this out next time i need a taxi to give it a go and compare to uber.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 01:25:55 PM by Chrysalis »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2017, 01:52:33 PM »

I see it has options to prebook (which uber does not)

Not wanting to promote uber but you can pre-book journeys upto a month in advance using the app.

For me, what seems to be missing in most discussions about Uber/taxis in London is the use of minicabs here - for many black cabs in London have either always been too expensive (not their fault as they don't set the prices) or they have lived outside central london limiting their access to being able to hail a black cab.

With a minicab, you just call them and they come to your location and take you where you wanted to go for a fixed fare. I believe there are now several minicab apps in London as well. Minicabs have filled the role Uber is now also filling for years.

Black taxi drivers have had a tough time of it for years - before Uber you had firms like Addison Lee who took a lot of company travel accounts for instance..

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2017, 02:27:50 PM »

Who sets the prices for the black cabs if not themselves?

Does who set the prices take a cut? and if yes would that be a factor in the possible banning of the competition with that revenue stream threatened?

Minicabs basically sound like a normal prebook taxi service, you book in advance, fare is fixed.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2017, 03:23:46 PM »

I will try this out next time i need a taxi to give it a go and compare to uber.

I think there is also another app out which allows mini cabs and black cabs to compete on pricing. - In fact Im certain that there is..  but it may be more localised to certain towns.

I don't use taxis that much these days and if I do I use the local cab firm as they are practically around the corner and usually here within a couple of mins - 5 at most.
This is why I don't personally have any of the apps... but a few people I know use them if their journey starts on the other side of the B'pl boundary.   
-----

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2017, 05:12:51 PM »

Who sets the prices for the black cabs if not themselves?

Does who set the prices take a cut?

The fares for Black Cabs are set by TfL/the Mayor for London. They won't be taking a cut but are the regulator.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6