Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DSLStats modem uptime logging  (Read 2341 times)

thegadgetman

• Just arrived
DSLStats modem uptime logging
« on: July 01, 2020, 10:03:22 AM »

I've had a hunt around this forum so hopefully this isn't covered already...  :)

I have a Huawei HG612 which is working fine with DSLStats and recently I've been having some broadband connection issues so I want to track modem uptime vs DSL uptime.

DSL uptime is fine as is logged with the rest of the Stats data but I am struggligng to find where DSLstats logs modem uptime as I can see it in the status bar of the GUI but I cannot see it logged in any of the data collected.

I've found references to the "cat /proc/uptime" command but I was hoping there was something more elegant than a custom command.

Please can someone help?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DSLStats modem uptime logging
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 12:42:28 PM »

I'm sorry but I can't see any easy way to automate logging of the modem uptime. DSLstats doesn't retain the data - it simply runs the command cat /proc/uptime, converts it to days, hours, minutes, seconds, and displays the result on the status bar.
  Eric

thegadgetman

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 01:00:52 PM »

Thanks for the quick response and the confirmation.

Is a custom command and entries into the event log the only way of gathering this statistic then?
If so, do you have any suggestions of how I could manipulate the log within the DSLStats instance to extract the data and create my own record?

FYI - I am using the DSLStats Docker container to gather the data, if that helps.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 02:25:42 PM »

As a very clunky workaround if the modem is down telnet/stats wouldn't be able to be gathered so you would be missing a line in the stats.log datastore file for any corresponding minute that the modem (or at least telnet) wasn't available. Obviously if the modem restarts quick enough you may not end up missing a per minute sample.

thegadgetman

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 10:25:21 PM »

Thanks for the advice but its not the modem downtime I'm after it is the DSL uptime compared to modem uptime (if you know what I mean?!).

I think I've found a view from my Unifi USG which helps if I can't get this info from the modem.

Thanks again.