Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New (to me) type of scam call  (Read 5254 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
New (to me) type of scam call
« on: November 17, 2017, 08:24:43 AM »

Yesterday I had a call from someone apparently from a London phone number who asked for me by name and the continued to explain that the call was to tell me my line rental and call charges were being reduced. Now as usual whenever I have a call from someone with an Indian accent I am very careful and probably sound quite skeptical about it all so after a few moments the line went dead. From what I have found by searching the number which came up is not in use so an obvious spoof of the caller ID. This is a new (to me) type of call and although it did not catch me out (nor would it have caught my wife) I can imagine though that some folks might be who are less savvy about this stuff.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: New (to me) type of scam call
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 09:36:09 AM »

I believe that's a common scam on TalkTalk

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 12:21:30 PM »

I've been enjoying almost daily calls from 'BT Open Reach' wanting to check my line is OK.  All the same indications of a UK number, UK forename, a thick Indian accent and enough background noise to suggest that they are calling from a sweat shop of a call centre.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 02:39:54 PM »

Yes I've had loads of the broadband type scam calls over the past couple of years, it was the first time they tried this one on me.

The problem for TalkTalk is that now I refuse to talk to anyone with an Indian accent which means I refuse to talk to their genuine Indian call centre as well as I have no means of verifying they are genuine.

Stuart

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 02:10:14 PM »

Just do what I did this morning when I got an un-wanted Indian person ask for me by Name  >:D, say,
'''This is the Police station''.
They soon put there phone down.  ;D even apologised  :D
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 02:23:56 PM »

British Gas, how may I help you? often has a deterrent effect.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 04:41:50 PM »

"Security Services. Please state your current security code.", said in the most officious manner, works quite well.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 05:20:58 PM »

I've tried most of those over the years but sometimes when I feel like it I string them along especially if they think I'm running Windows  ;) ;D ::)

Stuart

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 03:23:11 PM »

I've tried most of those over the years but sometimes when I feel like it I string them along especially if they think I'm running Windows  ;) ;D ::)

Stuart
+1  ;D

'Phone tracing services'  Please keep talking a bit more so we can trace this call.
They seen to put the phone down quick.  :lol:
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 03:55:12 PM »

I generally string them along until they give me their Teamviewer ID, then report them to Teamviewer,  at least they can then block them or whatever they do. I had a call the other day, they just wouldn't give up, normally they end up swearing at me and hanging up but I had to hang up on them after 20 minutes.

One thing I don't quite get is why they give me their team viewer I'd,  rather than ask for mine, I always write down the number and then enter the wrong number. I suspect once I connect to their system they'll get to download and install stuff, but I never go that far.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 09:59:11 PM »

I can proudly say, that I wasted 1hour of their time, and mine, but they lost out on potential income, I didn't, last week when they rang my number, claiming to be BT tech neee cal sapouwt calling from skype  and spoofing the number(several times) with some bs story about my BT router( i don't use/have such a dewice) Ian not a BT consumer customer , any how, they claimed that this non-existant dewice has been send them error massages, Right ok whatever scammer,
I proceeded to waste their time, because whilst they think they are scamming me they aren't able to scam someone who falls for their bs, Had i had a wee em (VM) set up i would of have even more risk free entertainment even maybe gotten some victims info from their computer, and possibly helped the victims get  their funds refunded

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 10:39:49 PM »

I've not had the technical support calls but I unfortunately get the odd 'have you had an accident' automated calls.

I never get put to somebody to help me with my claim after saying that I had an accident 'tomorrow'  :sob: :giggle: