Computer Software > Security

New (to me) type of scam call

(1/3) > >>

broadstairs:
Yesterday I had a call from someone apparently from a London phone number who asked for me by name and the continued to explain that the call was to tell me my line rental and call charges were being reduced. Now as usual whenever I have a call from someone with an Indian accent I am very careful and probably sound quite skeptical about it all so after a few moments the line went dead. From what I have found by searching the number which came up is not in use so an obvious spoof of the caller ID. This is a new (to me) type of call and although it did not catch me out (nor would it have caught my wife) I can imagine though that some folks might be who are less savvy about this stuff.

Stuart

Dray:
I believe that's a common scam on TalkTalk

jaydub:
I've been enjoying almost daily calls from 'BT Open Reach' wanting to check my line is OK.  All the same indications of a UK number, UK forename, a thick Indian accent and enough background noise to suggest that they are calling from a sweat shop of a call centre.

broadstairs:
Yes I've had loads of the broadband type scam calls over the past couple of years, it was the first time they tried this one on me.

The problem for TalkTalk is that now I refuse to talk to anyone with an Indian accent which means I refuse to talk to their genuine Indian call centre as well as I have no means of verifying they are genuine.

Stuart

tickmike:
Just do what I did this morning when I got an un-wanted Indian person ask for me by Name  >:D, say,
'''This is the Police station''.
They soon put there phone down.  ;D even apologised  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version