Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC DLM Reset can do from ex-bt engineer  (Read 2430 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen
FTTC DLM Reset can do from ex-bt engineer
« on: November 16, 2017, 11:57:50 PM »

I was surprise one of my friend neighbour who used to work for Openreach engineer in the past but he retired now. He say all ex bt engineer can reset DLM at the fibre cabinet with one off of £40 charge and don't need isp to be involved.

He say many ISPs are being told not to request DLM request because if this happen, million of customers will ask the ISPs and request DLM reset will overload on the engineers workload.

He say if I want my line as the Fibre DLM reset, he will do it for me for one off £40 if PN refused to do it. So, I am not sure if it was allow and legal?

[Moderator edited to remove the link. The advertisement of a third party web-site is not appropriate.]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 12:28:25 AM by burakkucat »

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC DLM Reset can do from ex-bt engineer
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 12:06:29 AM »

If this is true it does surprise me. I would've thought the engineer would've had that kind of access revoked given they don't work for Openreach anymore.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 09:38:38 AM »

That would be illegal, whether they could do it or not. An ex-Openreach engineer is no different from you or I in that none of us have any business in a DSLAM cabinet.

Stop obsessing over DLM. It's not a great use of time or emotional energy. Going by your BQM you don't make especially heavy use of the connection so I doubt the 750kB/s loss has seriously impacted.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 12:22:58 PM »

No way.  The amount of resets performed by Openreach engineers is strictly monitored and disciplinary action will be taken against any engineer performing a reset without undue cause.

When the new system comes in for ISP resets all their requests are looked at and they must fall within certain criteria for how much the DLM is restricting the line.  If they don't meet the required criteria they are rejected and chucked out without notification.

Even if Plusnet was one of those ISPs that could do this, I'm not sure if yours would qualify for a couple of reasons.
- I don't think the amount of loss falls within range.
- You certainly haven't had the required period of stability yet to allow DLM to attempt to auto-correct.

If who-ever it is is asking for £40 - who do you pay?   Think about it... This is going to be a back-hander.  Im not even sure how an ex-employee will still have access to the system anyhow. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 01:26:11 PM »

Yeah I thought so. It's would be illegal to do this.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 04:15:59 PM »

The situation of a ex colleague doing a reset is plausible, but I imagine that engineer is risking a disciplinary if they get caught doing it without following due procedure, the big one been that they modifying a line without the CP been involved.

anything