Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC Connection - SNR Query?  (Read 1411 times)

hyeung

FTTC Connection - SNR Query?
« on: November 18, 2017, 12:57:55 PM »

Hi,

I just got switched to BT Infinity 2 (Unlimited 76Mb) and have been on this for almost 9 days now.
I noticed some strange change in the SNR and wanted to get some advice?

When initially connected I was syncd at 79995Kbps down / 19999Kbps up with an SNR of 6db; and speed tests were good giving up to 74M and about up to 18M down and all looked well and stable.

As it stands my connection has not dropped and still remains connected after about 9 days going.
However, after 3 day or so I notice that my SNR was slowly dropping; going from 6db down to 5db and then to 4db the next day or so. Subsequently the attainable rate has obviously dropped where its below the actual rate (when i first connected).

What's strange is that the SNR has not recovered back to its former 6db? We're now on the 9th day and shockingly noticed that the SNR is now sitting at 1db!? I've attached line stats for intially and after the 9th day below...

Can someone help look at these stats to advise how these look?
And perhap give me some advice on the SNR situation?

I havent as such notice any major degrade in the connection since the SNR dropped to 1db but concerning to see why its doing this? I would have expected it to climb back up but seems that once it drops its stays...?
I've also checked the Phone line, and theres no crackling or noise....just a quiet line?

Previous to Infinity, I had the standard ADSL2+ connection and no such problems with the SNR.

I have avoided forcing the modem to restart, as I'm wondering if my line is still in training for the first 10 days?
Btw, the modem i'm using is a DrayTrek Vigor 130.

Appreciate any advice?

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC Connection - SNR Query?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 01:10:39 PM »

I can't really advise on why the SNRM is apparently lowering each day, but I want to say that there's no 10 day training period like there was on 21CN ADSL2+. FTTC's DLM kicks in after two days after the day of installation unless there's a significant number of re-syncs before that duration has passed.