Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Does changing ISP trigger a DLM Reset and a couple more questions...  (Read 2205 times)

Oakserver

Hi,

I'm moving from BT Infinity 2 to Sky Fibre Max, both rated the same speed wise.

My questions are:

1)Will this trigger a DLM reset as the profile goes from Speed with BT to Standard with Sky?

2) How does LLU work with VDSL. My local exchange has Sky LLU - does that make any difference on VDSL or is LLU just the provision of the landline and ADSL? Not really sure how that works.

3) If I leave my Draytek 2860 connected to the line on the date of switchover, will the router go into a cycle of retraining / sync loss until I get home from work and change the settings? i don't want DLM to take drastic action with all the re-syncs on my first day of service!

There is a document on the Draytek website about configuring the router for Sky MER which I intend to follow.

Any thoughts and assistance gratefully received.

Thanks
Oakserver

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: Does changing ISP trigger a DLM Reset and a couple more questions...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 10:37:35 AM »

1) Changing DLM profile from 'speed' to 'standard' will not in itself trigger a DLM reset, however changing backhaul will trigger a partial reset (basically all except banding if you have a banded line). As Sky use their own backhaul you should get this partial reset. DLM however will be more sensitive to error seconds and retrains/re-syncs on the 'standard' profile.

2) LLU is essentially Sky's own equipment in the exchange with their own backhaul, without going into much detail.

3) Yes it should as DLM should be partially reset due to the backhaul change. There should only be one re-sync. Changing your login details on the DrayTek might make it ask you to restart the router to take effect, but this single additional re-sync (if this happens) is highly unlikely to cause DLM to punish you.

EDIT: Misread question 3, my "yes" is meant to say "yes it should be fine", not implied as "yes it should re-sync constantly".
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 01:37:03 PM by Ixel »

Oakserver

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 10:58:50 AM »

Thanks Ixel for your reply.

OK, if I understand correctly leaving the DrayTek connected on switchover day with the old invalid BT connection and login details  won't affect the DLM process - the router will still sync OK, although just wouldn't connect properly until I get home and change the details.

3) Yes it should as DLM should be partially reset due to the backhaul change. There should only be one re-sync. Changing your login details on the DrayTek might make it ask you to restart the router to take effect, but this single additional re-sync (if this happens) is highly unlikely to cause DLM to punish you.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 11:26:42 AM »

Thanks Ixel for your reply.

OK, if I understand correctly leaving the DrayTek connected on switchover day with the old invalid BT connection and login details  won't affect the DLM process - the router will still sync OK, although just wouldn't connect properly until I get home and change the details.

It should just re-sync once due to the backhaul change from WBMC to Sky LLU, after that it will either login to the BT credentials or just fail to login. It shouldn't re-sync any further until possibly when you change the login details if the router asks to be restarted.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 01:21:45 PM »

1. Yes
2. No LLU on UK FTTC/VDSL2. Your local exchange often isn't the Fibre Head-End exchange.
3. No it shouldn't, although that may be device specific. It definitely shouldn't cycle connection to the cabinet. It should reconnect to the cabinet but fail to establish a PPP session until you input Sky's Login details.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Oakserver

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 07:31:53 PM »

Thanks Ixel and j0hn,

It gives me a good idea of what to expect.

Oakserver.