Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TISCALI CONNECTION SPEEDS  (Read 2349 times)

fellmaster

• Just arrived
TISCALI CONNECTION SPEEDS
« on: May 10, 2008, 10:02:08 AM »

ISP tiscali
PC XP sp3
router siemens se587

I have been with tiscali for 2 months and up to recently I have had decent speeds of 4- 4.5 MBs

overnight this week these speeds have been slashed to between .5 and 2 mb. This is not just be cause of peak internet traffic its 24/7

Tiscali have been as much use as chocolate teapot telling me the rpoblem must be at my end . Its not i have made no changes to the PC and router setting are unchanged

anyone any ideas to assist
thanks
 :)

Re: TISCALI CONNECTION SPEEDS
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 10:17:31 AM »

Three choices :

1) Find a decent ISP;

2) Complain loudly and frequently and someone there might take notice. I doubt it though;

3) Live with it.

I'm sorry if that seems a bit short but the above is a condensed version of the advice you will get.

I could ask for line stats and what not but in reality it won't matter as your chances of finding anyone at Tiscali who either cares or can do anything are close to zero. The fact that Tiscali are desperately trying to offload their ISP business in the UK doesn't help much either.

I'd strongly recommend finding a decent ISP.

Try taking a look at the ratings (and comments!) Tiscali get here : http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/ISP_ratings.php
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 10:20:31 AM by rizla »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 12:00:42 PM »

>> overnight this week these speeds have been slashed to between .5 and 2 mb.

Since March there have been quite a lot of complaints from tiscali users about their service getting even worse.
Unlimited means download what you like.. (at very poor speeds) except if its p2p then it will be totally blocked at certain times of the day.

Theres also many users who have found themselves "FUPed" to slow speeds through use of p2p and whilst no figures are available for the FUP, its said to be very low.

Current status of their network performance which was last updated for tiscali at the end of March http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/caps.htm

Unfortunately as rizla says, possibly the best solution may be to migrate.
I think this post on the tiscali forums sums it up where even the tiscali reps appear to be resigned that theres not much that they can do to expedite things. :/ 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Jameseh

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 05:53:52 PM »

It's probably also worth considering that as Tiscali are now migrating as many Pipex customers onto their LLU service as possible, it is highly likely that their exchange equipment is getting increasingly congested, possibly supplying an explanation as to why your speeds have taken a dip recently.

anything