Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Anyone any experience with Revo Uninstaller?  (Read 4929 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Anyone any experience with Revo Uninstaller?
« on: November 11, 2017, 01:09:03 AM »

I remember many years ago this program was quite popular. But at the time I didnt need help uninstalling programs so I let it pass me by.

In recent years I've gotten in to playing quite a few mmo's and a lot are made in Asia. Though they might be good games, they seem to put little effort in to the uninstalling the game afterwards. A few of these programs I don't even think have their own uninstaller and rely on windows to uninstall it, which can leave a lot of files behind.

So do people still use Revo Uninstaller? Have you used it and what are your experiences and opinions of it?

Are there more recent types of programs like Revo Uninstaller that people use these days?

I'm considering installing it. But wanted to see if any of you guys have used it.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
Re: Anyone any experience with Revo Uninstaller?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 01:50:00 AM »

I used to use that but moved on to IOBit Uninstaller free there is a paid version as I think Revo became a bit bloated unless you use the portable version if it is still available.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 09:32:51 AM »

Have used Revo Uninstaller, the Pro version, currently V.3.2.0 for a few years without any issues, works best using the "install with" option which produces a dedicated install log during the program installation process, utilising this produces a very clean future removal of the program should this be required.

Have never had any unwanted side effects on other programs or the system in general after using either the logged or unlogged uninstalls, running on a desktop Pentium i5 PC with Win 8.1 64b..
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 10:43:20 AM »

There's something vaguely in my mind that's negative to IOBit in general, and there are remarks of that to be found. I recall strong advice to remove anything by them too.

I got vsRevo Pro a few years back on a cheap offer, and it seems to work. I try to limit use of the Advanced option to programs where something doubtful is subsequently suggested. I feel Advanced may be too aggressive, and my I.T. relative has said all uninstallers do bear that risk.

But I am an aged rocking horse, so please disregard, if you will. ;)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 11:44:35 AM »

Thanks for the replies guys.

yea thats how I am renluop, cautious about these kind of programs.

I looked up some review of revo uninstaller and the review on techrader mentioned its a good program but bloated with too many options.

I might give it a go at some point in the near future, and also check out the other program suggested.

It seems the particular game I tried to uninstall a lot of people are having problems with. Its called blade and soul. The weird thing is when problems happen with it, the company always says uninstall it and then re-install. But because it doesnt remove everything, when you go to reinstall it it says there is already a copy on the computer and won't attempt to install the game.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 01:47:49 PM »

I installed Revo a few years ago when something wouldn't go away (it might have been an antivirus - Mcafee maybe - but I did have recourse to using it again a few month's ago and it did the job. Can't remember what the offending item was, Sorry. I am also age challenged!
Tony

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 04:42:18 PM »

@Bowden

What was the bloat mentioned? Bloat like many things is in the eye of the beholder reviewer, and the skeptic in me to think if it's serious enough, or just the reviewer's need to say something adverse for  a perception of balance of the audience.