Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTC to FTTP?!  (Read 5735 times)

Dwight

• Reg Member
Re: FTTC to FTTP?!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 09:09:56 PM »

I'll say it again, FTTP is 100% unrelated to the PCP.
The PCP holds copper cables, no fibre at all.
The extension is to add extra space for more blocks for terminating copper cables, usually the tie pairs that link the PCP to the fibre cabinet.
Recently I've seen an extension being added just before a G.Fast cabinet.

So it's either for a G.Fast pod, a 2nd FTTC cabinet, or your cabinet is just absolutely stuffed and there's no space for more tie cables for the existing FTTC cabinet.

When the engineer says "it's for fibre" he likely means FTTC/G.Fast. It's all just referred to as "fibre".

The fibre used in FTTP has nothing to do with the PCP though. It comes from Aggregation nodes/Splitter nodes which are housed in underground chambers.

No John No!
Your digging my hart out with a wooden spoon!
 :comp: :wry:

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 10:01:10 PM »

lol
I'm not crushing your dreams.
I'm not saying your area/property isn't getting FTTP.
Just saying that particular green "pod" on the PCP is unrelated to it.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 05:33:19 AM »

Aside: I wonder why on earth they add these extension units, rather than just replacing the whole thing with a bigger box? I’m fairly sure some bean counter might have actually done the sums relating to it.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 02:06:42 PM »

Aside: I wonder why on earth they add these extension units, rather than just replacing the whole thing with a bigger box? I’m fairly sure some bean counter might have actually done the sums relating to it.

200 plus phone lines having to be disconnected and reconnected could you image the customer complaints and mess it would create!  :no:

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 06:52:57 PM »

> having to be disconnected and reconnected

Good point. It would have to be done by several guys working together overnight. I don't remotely know enough about the specifics. It's just what they do whenever a box gets hit by a car, gets flooded and wrecked, catches fire or just gets too old and nasty, I suppose.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 08:10:42 PM »

> having to be disconnected and reconnected

Good point. It would have to be done by several guys working together overnight. I don't remotely know enough about the specifics. It's just what they do whenever a box gets hit by a car, gets flooded and wrecked, catches fire or just gets too old and nasty, I suppose.

I think when a Cab is taken out by fowl means it's a different story, upgrading they can do by adding another rack of numbers.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 10:27:09 PM »

200 plus phone lines having to be disconnected and reconnected could you image the customer complaints and mess it would create!  :no:

Not necessarily so.  :no: 

Have you come across the phrase "re-shell / re-shelled / re-shelling" in the context of a primary cross-connection point (PCP)? The old / too small / damaged / whatever casing is removed leaving all the internal gubbins in-situ. Then a new casing is dropped over and mechanically fixed (nuts, bolts & various doings). No circuits would (normally) be disturbed.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2]