Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: FTTC DLM Caution Counter Resets  (Read 13175 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: FTTC DLM Caution Counter Resets
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2018, 12:51:18 PM »

It would be interesting to let the end user request a maximum limit of DLM resets per X months.

It would also be interesting to allow people to set their own sync rates. If someone wants high sync rates with more dropped connections then they have no one else to blame but themselves. If someone else wants a stable connection and a lower sync then they should be able to do that as well.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2018, 01:05:36 PM »

My last Remote Defect Indicator/DLM was on the 26th November 2017 at 12:55pm. My line was ongoing stable for 51 days and 3 hours with no sign of resync by DLM to removed banded 74Meg capped yet. Because I can't remember when I look up other forum here or somewhere else that DLM will removed banded after 2 months (correct me if I was right?)

Here is my latest stats from router:

Code: [Select]
Uptime:                  51 days 3 hours 14 min 3 sec
Total time = 51 days 3 hours 14 min 3 sec
FEC:            14410           14134
CRC:            0               2015
ES:             0               1655
SES:            0               0
UAS:            28              28
LOS:            0               0
LOF:            0               0
LOM:            0               0

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB):  11.4 0.0
Signal attenuation (dB): Not available on VDSL2
Connection speed (kbps): 74000 19999
SNR margin (dB):        8.4 14.3
Power (dBm):            12.4 -1.1
Interleave depth:        16 1
INP:                    49.00 0
G.INP:                  Enabled Not enabled
Vectoring status:        5 (VECT_UNCONFIGURED)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 01:08:01 PM by adslmax »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2018, 02:20:25 PM »

It would be interesting to let the end user request a maximum limit of DLM resets per X months.

It would also be interesting to allow people to set their own sync rates. If someone wants high sync rates with more dropped connections then they have no one else to blame but themselves. If someone else wants a stable connection and a lower sync then they should be able to do that as well.

That isn't going to happen.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2018, 05:55:05 PM »

I'm not even quite sure what you mean by this, did you mean that I could request that the DLM is not allowed to resync my line more than once a year (for example)?

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2018, 07:26:07 PM »

I am in fully support if both Openreach and ISP to put a maximum limit of 4 x DLM resets per year subject to a good reasonable from the fault team to avoid abused to the DLM system.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2018, 08:23:46 PM »

Can anyone suggest any of the reasons as to why it's necessary for the DLM resets to be restricted?

I'll attempt to answer my own question, I'd overlooked something fairly simple, but it could also account for a lot of the observed behaviour of the DLM, why it doesn't do this or that that you think it should have done by now.

The reason is that the DLM is crap, and the way it was designed or cobbled together or whatever has made resetting a line into some very inconvenient task.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2018, 08:35:41 PM »

I agree more. I never like the DLM for FTTC, how sad is it! :( on the bad day on the line the line speed reduced or banded on it pretty quickly by DLM but on the good day of longer stable, the DLM might never restored the speed back or removed banded line for so long or possible stuck.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 08:38:23 PM by adslmax »

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2018, 01:31:27 PM »

I very much doubt the vast majority even notice DLM. There is no real business value in Openreach pandering to nerds fixated by their broadband stats. That I imagine is the overwhelming driver behind DLM functionality.

With Openreach looking at newer technologies now there is little value in wasting time and money on most things related to FTTC. What is there is good enough for most, with tactical deployments of things like vectoring where necessary.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2018, 01:44:30 PM »

Do people notice slowdowns yes.

I think your comment is a bit harsh, I would rephrase that people may notice things slow down but have little idea or even the time to investigate as to why, so just get on with things instead of worrying about it, thats probably closer to the truth than not noticing.

The primary new technology openreach is working on is g.fast which is still pretty much the same as VDSL except over a bigger frequency range, so any improvements to FTTC DLM would probably apply to that product as well.  Not to mention most of their customer base is on FTTC or ADSL and probably will be for at least another 5 years (with the rate openreach are progressing, and the products LLU's are pushing), so anything that cuts down on engineer callouts etc. is probably worth pursuing for them.

I know several people personally who are definitely not nerds, and have in casual conversation mentioned (to me, not other way round) about internet problems they had, whether its laggy browsing, dodgy streaming or just slow downloads.  People do notice these things.  My 71 year old dad as an example knows what an ip address is which surprised me, people do learn things.

This is obviously not going to be labeled as a DLM reset, it will be dumbed down in tech support language to something like "yes sir I think I know what the problem is, we will make changes to your line and you should notice an improvement in X days".
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

anything