Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: FTTC DLM Caution Counter Resets  (Read 13286 times)

ktz392837

• Reg Member
Re: FTTC DLM Caution Counter Resets
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2018, 10:18:47 PM »

@ktz392837 I wish my cabinet have vectoring or target SNR 3dB but there isn't at the moment.
As a fellow ECI cab sufferer I hear you :)

I will get my ECI rant hat on when the next news on this is published.  I am really hoping I will be able to  throw it away though :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 10:20:57 PM by ktz392837 »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2018, 12:50:03 AM »

@ktz392837 I wish my cabinet have vectoring or target SNR 3dB but there isn't at the moment.
Your cabinet does have 3dB, the rollout is complete. Your line doesn't use it because you sync at the max rate.

You don't need vectoring either.
Vectoring reduces crosstalk to improve sync.

When your line isn't banded you get the full 80Mb. Vectoring or a 3dB target snrm can't increase it any further.
If you had both it would make no difference with or without banding.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2018, 01:03:04 AM »

Your cabinet does have 3dB, the rollout is complete. Your line doesn't use it because you sync at the max rate.

You don't need vectoring either.
Vectoring reduces crosstalk to improve sync.

When your line isn't banded you get the full 80Mb. Vectoring or a 3dB target snrm can't increase it any further.
If you had both it would make no difference with or without banding.

ECI cabinets have 3 dB? That's news to me if so.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2018, 01:19:03 AM »

Max is on a Huawei 288.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2018, 01:38:42 AM »

Max is on a Huawei 288.

Ah, ok, I see. My mistake, but thanks for clarifying :).

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2018, 09:20:35 AM »

To me what is fair is an approach that doesnt take the line "DLM is always right".

The system should stop serial abusers e.g. someone ringing every week to get DLM reset as their line is erroring like crazy causing interleaving, but should also let someone who has rang up who has never made a request before get it actioned without any serious questioning, just do it.

I would also like to see one of 2 operation modes for DLM.

Latency preference on or off.

If on, banding would always be preferred over interleaving for stability action. If off, keep the current behaviour. It could be labelled as a "gamers" flag to keep things simple.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2018, 10:29:26 AM »

To me what is fair is an approach that doesnt take the line "DLM is always right".

The system should stop serial abusers e.g. someone ringing every week to get DLM reset as their line is erroring like crazy causing interleaving, but should also let someone who has rang up who has never made a request before get it actioned without any serious questioning, just do it.

I would also like to see one of 2 operation modes for DLM.

Latency preference on or off.

If on, banding would always be preferred over interleaving for stability action. If off, keep the current behaviour. It could be labelled as a "gamers" flag to keep things simple.

This would be great for people like me. I much prefer losing some speed instead of having higher latency. Unfortunately I doubt Openreach would ever implement such a choice. To be fair I'd rather have the choice of disabling/pausing DLM.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2018, 07:44:04 PM »

I believe it could add some value.  For example, if historically your line ran fine for X years at XMb (80Mb or 10Mb doesn't matter), a problem occurred, problem is sorted, you end up banded be it losing 1Mb, 10Mb or 50Mb if the customer gives a reasonable case (be it stats, weather event etc) for a reset they should get one.

In that case, then there should be no need to give any reason at all to do a DLM reset. It's not as if somebody has to go out and open up the FTTC cabinet and pull a lever. I don't think it's significantly different to an ADSL DLM reset.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2018, 07:47:40 PM »

The ISP should be able to handle doing the reset or not as appropriate, so unless there's a need for a system to protect against useless ISP staff, there's no need for Openreach to have a system to restrict the resets.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2018, 08:47:35 PM »

In that case, then there should be no need to give any reason at all to do a DLM reset. It's not as if somebody has to go out and open up the FTTC cabinet and pull a lever. I don't think it's significantly different to an ADSL DLM reset.

It is in as much as ADSL DLM resets are unique to the individual ISP's equipment ............ VDSL DLM is a common entity.

I have no idea what the outcome would be of misuse of the VDSL DLM, but the powers that be must think it harmful enough to keep the ISP's paws off it !!

It's not perfect, we all know that .... but there are moves almost upon us, for ISP's to request full resets if the criteria permits it. As in most situations, individuals just think of themselves or their own situation when making a statement like 'Don't restrict resets' ......... nothing wrong with that, human nature ...... but there are far more qualified folk that us working on these things who have the final say as to whether it would be wise or not.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2018, 09:13:19 PM »

So what about BTWholesale's ADSL equipment and DLM shared by all those ISPs using BTWholesale? That's just as much a common entity as Openreach's FTTC DLM.

Can anyone suggest any of the reasons as to why it's necessary for the DLM resets to be restricted?

There may well be people who know far more than anyone on this forum, but then there are also people who like making other people do what they say because they say so, even if it's ultimately pretty pointless.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2018, 09:45:36 PM »

There may well be people who know far more than anyone on this forum, but then there are also people who like making other people do what they say because they say so, even if it's ultimately pretty pointless.

Yeah, that'll be the reason.  ::)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2018, 07:01:56 AM »

The ISP should be able to handle doing the reset or not as appropriate, so unless there's a need for a system to protect against useless ISP staff, there's no need for Openreach to have a system to restrict the resets.

The system I mean as in how the end user interacts with it, the request, and down to openreach actioning it, so yes not just openreach, the system as in designed between the CPs and openreach in what sort of requests will be accepted for actioning and rejected.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2018, 08:30:03 AM »

Yeah, that'll be the reason.  ::)

I really must get a pair of those rose tinted glasses you wear BS  ;)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2018, 09:45:11 AM »

I really must get a pair of those rose tinted glasses you wear BS  ;)

I'll raise my half-empty glass to you, when you finally purchase them, Licq !!  ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

anything