Announcements > Site & Forum Discussion

HTTPS By Default

<< < (2/4) > >>

kitz:
No.   I struggle to pay server costs nvm CDN  :'(

If you mean CMS I covered that above.  No word of a lie Ive spent months trying to find a suitable replacement, even wasting a few weeks messing with MODX before realising it wasnt going to work right.

Forum would still need some sort of proxy though for external images.  I had been waiting for latest version of SMF (which has been recently released) which makes things quite a bit easier in respect of the forum.  However it is and always has been the main site which is much busier than the forum.

Believe me, if there was an easy option then I'd do it.   Unlike other sites of this site, there are no paid staff, ad revenue is practically zilch atm 'cause everyone uses adblockers.  Even TBB has a team who works behind the scenes responsible for Admin and web side of stuff.  Same with ISPr who have a content team.   Me I have to do everything for nowt with grateful assistance from Eric and Alan who help on the forum side of things when it comes to moderation. 

highpriest:
No, I meant a CDN like Cloudflare, MaxCDN or Amazon CloudFront. Cloudflare offers a free plan as well (with a free shared SSL certificate). They will cache most static content so your bandwidth overhead should reduce significantly.

Not really my area of expertise though, so apologies if I'm way off the mark here.

jelv:
Is there a traffic limit on the Cloudflare free plan?

nallar:
There is no strict limit. I've never heard of anyone's free plan being terminated/forced to upgrade, but the terms would allow them to kick someone off. I expect kitz.co.uk would not reach enough usage to run into that problem.

The full terms are here: https://www.cloudflare.com/terms/

highpriest:
What nallar said :)

Even if Kitz goes for the $20 a month plan (Pro), the overall running cost could drop as a) the bandwidth bill could drop significantly and b) the site potentially could be run on a smaller server/VPS if the load drops by enough of a margin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version