Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows 10 Expectations  (Read 4837 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Windows 10 Expectations
« on: November 02, 2017, 08:37:29 AM »

Have never ventured beyond Windows 8.1 to date running on my desktop PC, always found this to be very stable and have been happy with performance.

Have finally got around to replacing my very old Acer laptop, still running Win XP with a new Acer model, reasonable spec., quad core Pentium CPU, 8 Mb. memory & 2 Tb. hard disk, running Win 10 Home.
Yes, initial Windows updates took a very long time, hours, I can accept this on a PC which has likely been sitting on a shelf for months since manufacture, I note that there are lots of threads on controlling Win 10 updates which I will read for future reference.

With all updates completed, I just can't believe how long it is taking to start up and shut down the PC, 3 to 4 minutes, opening any application is also very slow, my very old Acer XP laptop is faster on all counts !
Norton AV S/W is pre-loaded, could this be a big slow down issue ?
I intend to remove this as I am a long term subscriber to Bit Defender and have a spare licence available, don't want to install this just yet as I am verging on returning the laptop.

I don't think I have a hardware issue with the PC, is it likely I have a software issue or is this as good as it gets with Windows 10, if so, it's back to the supplier (Argos) for a refund ?
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Windows 10 Expectations
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 08:50:03 AM »

This is certainly not normal behaviour with Win10. :no:
I have it installed on a few machines, including a cheap old Celeron based laptop with only 3GB RAM, and that still starts up in under a minute.
Are you sure it has fully finished configuring everything as that can take a good while?
Have you fired-up Task Manager to see what's using all of the resource?
I haven't used Norton as I'm a Kaspersky fan, so can't comment on that.
 :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:52:54 AM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 11:32:05 AM »

@tubaman

As a Windows 10 "virgin" don't really know what to expect, I avoided the free upgrade by MS when 10 was being rolled out as always suspicious of bug ridden early releases, not uncommon to MS..

Yes, I'am fairly confident that initial configuration and Win updates completed, went on for close to 4 hours last night, could not belive that it took so long.

Have not got to the Task Manager stage yet, will have to learn how to drive the system first, hopefully it's not that much different to Win 8.1 which I have always run in old, Win 7 style desktop mode.
Quite busy at present on another project so not much time to mess around until the weekend.

Certainly not a good start with the Win 10 experience, hopefully will improve, if not the laptop is back to supplier within the return period.

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 10:29:47 PM »

Given up on the new Acer laptop (Win 10), there's got to be a software/hardware issue, nothing can be that slow, also getting a lot of "not responding" now on virtually anything I try to open, my 10 year old Acer Celeron M laptop with very little memory & running Win XP is a flying machine by comparison.
At 2 days old, it's off back to Argos in the morning for a refund, they are usually very good, no questions asked.

Accepting that I have not had a very good introduction to Win 10 on a very suspect PC, still don't like the look of it, far too much bloat, think I will be sticking with Win 8.1 to the bitter end !

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 10:41:33 AM »

I would give Win 10 a bit more of a chance if you can - it really is pretty good once you are used to it.
I agree that 8.1 was an ok OS (and much better than 8.0) but I certainly don't regret upgrading to 10.
There's clearly an issue with that Acer laptop though as it shouldn't be performing like that.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 12:00:39 PM »

Thanks for the further comments tubaman:

Acer laptop returned to local Argos this morning, can't fault them, full refund, no fuss.
On re-checking the Argos reviews found at least one very similar experience to my own with this particular laptop, in their case returned, obtained replacement and this was exactly the same, perhaps Acer QC not as good as it could be ?

Yes, have taken your comments on Win 10 on board and will give it a go at some stage, still want to replace my old laptop soon and with Windows OS there's not a lot of choice really other then win 10 !
Could always go to MAC or Linux I suppose.

LordSven

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 06:00:27 PM »

I have recently dealt with a similar probem on an Acer machine for a customer.
The problem was with Norton and the other bloatware that comes pre-installed.
I don't recall the CPU, but with only 4GB of RAM the laptop functioned perfectly acceptably once the rubbish was uninstalled.
BT FTTC 79/18 from Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A - LordSven on MDWS via DslStats

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 08:45:39 PM »

Returned the Acer as reported, no doubt that bloatware was the main issue, I just could not see any good reason that I should have to spend hours messing about with software on an operating system I was totally unfamiliar with after paying good money for a new item.

I waited for a few weeks then went for a HP, i5 Pentium with 8Gb of memory and a 256Gb SSD, a bit more than I had originally intended to spend but worth it in the end.
Much less bloatware on this, easily removed everything I didn't want and got all the Win updates in a couple of hours, quite impressed with the speed and slowly warming to Win 10 as I become more familiar with the system.

The only thing I found annoying was the supposed 1 year warranty comes up as 10 months remaining, ie, the actual purchase date is disregarded when registering on line and a date 2 months previous appears !
Virtually every forum I have found where this laptop is reviewed reports the same issue.
There is a "warranty period dispute" link in the HP support site but the procedure does not complete, gave up in the end.

Suppose if I felt strongly enough about this I would push further but couldn't be bothered and was happy with the performance, just hoping that the unit does not now go faulty after 10 months !

LordSven

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 03:26:25 PM »

I totally agree that having to spend time on a brand new laptop ot tablet just to get the thing fit for purpose is completely unacceptable.
Sharp prctice seems to prevail; even the HP ethos appears to be the same with the warranty issue. I'm glad that you're happy with the new kit. If purchased in the UK/EU then I beleieve that you are entitled to full consumer protection and you could claim warranty from the retailer?
BT FTTC 79/18 from Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A - LordSven on MDWS via DslStats

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 06:11:37 PM »

windows 10 telemetry collection can murder responsiveness, it was the cause of bad performance on my dads pc.  a slow hdd and low ram especially would highlight it.

going to 8.1 wouldnt be a bad decision, to this day win 10 still has no killer feature for mainstream users but has lot's of downsides

just because its newer doesnt mean its better, 8.1 is still supported for several more years

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 06:24:34 PM »

windows 10 telemetry collection can murder responsiveness, it was the cause of bad performance on my dads pc.  a slow hdd and low ram especially would highlight it.
I just download and run O&O ShutUp10 which helps.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 07:46:45 PM »

I just download and run O&O ShutUp10 which helps.
it helps and is a great tool, but have to redo after every feature update, i just use an OS where dont need to at all.

my mining rig runs win10 but sadly i find things getting worse not better for useability with every feature update e.g. now one cannot set file associations in the control panel, and i could list another half dozen issues introduced in the fall update as well. :( a OS great if new things excite you but not for productivity :(