Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Line drop problems!  (Read 5183 times)

chadchandler

• Just arrived
Line drop problems!
« on: November 05, 2006, 06:52:43 PM »

Hi there,
I'm having a few problems with my line and I'm wondering if anyone can help?

It started when I first got ADSL and I found that the line would drop whenever the phone would ring! I renewed all micro filters but nothing changed!
It got to the point where I decided to by a router (Draytec Vigor2600g), a filtered face plate and renewed all cables with the best ones I could get.
It made a small difference for a while but has now come back again.
Every time the phone rings and is answered its fine, its not until the phone is hung up that it drops the ADSL connection?
My SNR margin is about 19 and the loop. att is 50.
I have recently changed ISP to try and get 8m and I am currently on the 10 day line test to find out what speed I will be getting.

Many Thanks

Chadchandler

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Line drop problems!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 07:05:03 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

It looks as though you've already done all that you can with your own end of things. This sounds like a line problem, so you need to report it to your ISP for action.

Eric
  Eric

chadchandler

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 07:51:03 PM »

I've tried that before and I don't seem to get very far!!!
What I get is the standard bt login test from my ISP and then they log it for a day or 2.
They contact bt which come out 4 days later and the problem mysteriously fixes itself before they get there.
3 days later the problem reoccurs!!
Start all over again!! Have done this nearly 5 times in 1 month before!!
I've even considered cutting my line at the box so they can connect me to a different line!! (I wouldn't though, I'm not that brave :-[)
I don't seem to be able to get through to anyone at bt who knows what there on about.
I'll keep on trying and see if I can get them to swap my line to the exchange :(

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 08:22:03 PM »

Have you plugged your phone and modem directly into the master test socket? (if you have a linebox that is)

You mention you renewed the cables, but my perception is that you do not mean extension wiring but connecting cables?

Try it in the TEST SOCKET (hence cutting out all internal wiring). If you find the same problem occurs, try to report it as a line fault to BT. It is unlikely your ISP could do anything else given the nature of the problem.

If all is fine when plugged in to the test socket, check your extension wiring or getting someone to have a look for you, as this is most likely where the problem is if you have tried new microfilters, cables etc.

chadchandler

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 08:35:53 PM »

I've tried plugging straight into the master socket and it doesn't make any difference.
I've got a NTE5 adsl faceplate so don't need micro filters.
I started by renewing the extension cable (I've only got one) first. I then renewed the adsl cable from the faceplate to router and from router to pc.
have tried to report it as a line fault to bt when i get noisy phone line but they never pick up the fault! I then get them out and it fixes itself or they do something to it and then try and charge me ?50 for the privilege!!!
One of the bt engineers once said that he reset a card or something at the exchange and it seemed to work fine for a couple of weeks and then started playing up again!!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 04:16:37 PM »

Hi chad

It really does seem to me that you have done all that you can possibly do and therefore I sympathise with trying to get BT to accept there is a fault.
I really dont know what else to suggest for you..  since the problem is something that can only be fixed by BT

You may be interested in this

When a customer's dsl goes out when the phone rings and they answer it, it's not always in the house wiring. Have your local phone company check the CO for what we call a half tap. If they find one that should solve your problem.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/faq/5.+Troubleshooting#326
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

chadchandler

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 07:01:48 PM »

Thank you very much for the help everyone has given me, I shall keep on pestering bt and hope for the best ???

Chad