Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VERY SLOW, Help?  (Read 2037 times)

martynp1

• Just arrived
VERY SLOW, Help?
« on: October 29, 2017, 11:47:12 PM »

Hey there!
I was just wondering if there is any ISP that would look into upgrading my lines, I know my speed isn't the worst it could be but it certainly doesn't do the job. I am a part-time streamer and of course, I have to use 3G to stream because the upload speed is not fast enough. Would there be an ISP who would look into upgrading the lines if I offered to pay an amount of money to help fund it. I am just trying to figure out what to do because streaming does rack up the bill pretty quickly on 3G. I wouldn't mind paying for a business line if it was FTTP but would prefer to pay in the margin of £60-£120 a month and the cost of installing separate!
Thanks! smile

-This is FTTC

System Up Time: 202:42:17

Broadband Link   Downstream   Upstream
Connection Speed   7095 kbps   1111 kbps
Line Attenuation   42.8 dB   0.0 dB
Noise Margin   8.6 dB   6.6 dB

konrado5

• Reg Member
Re: VERY SLOW, Help?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 11:57:45 PM »

Could you attach your SNR, Hlog and QLN graphs?

martynp1

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 12:06:59 AM »

Sorry I am new to this, I have no idea what that means. Just made this account as a Sky ORacle pointed me to this website.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 12:31:13 AM »

Can you go to http://www.dslchecker.bt.com and post what it says about your line (after deleting your telephone number/address). If you are on Sky you may have to use the address checker rather than the telephone number one.

martynp1

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 12:36:03 AM »

This it?

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 11:00:14 AM »

You are getting pretty good speeds for your line, you must be a considerable distance away from the FTTC cabinet. With this technology there is no line upgrade that can improve the situation unless BT build a new cabinet much closer to you.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 11:25:31 AM »

One way to double your speeds is to get another line via AAISP an use line bonding to combine them together. You can even get 3 or 4 lines if your budget allows. See http://aa.net.uk/broadband-office1.html
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 11:35:07 AM by Dray »

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 12:51:34 PM »

I think @Dray is right that bonding is the best (only?) way in your case, once you are bumping up against the technical limits of your distance to the exchange extra lines is the only option I know.

A less good (but cheaper) way that some people (like me) achieve higher speeds is to load balance two separate phone lines (but without paying for bonding) or one phone line plus a mobile connection.  It's still two costs, mind you and has some limitations compared to bonding.

In your case I don't think this would work, as if you are streaming then you need total upstream bandwidth and would need streaming software that could utilise / aggregate two IP addresses and connections - as far as I know the "usual" software like OBS doesn't do this - happy to be corrected on this if I am wrong.

Some software which uses aggregated connections works well like this e.g. Bittorrent

This kinda thing :

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGqcGeTQ7lI&t=470s[/youtube]

Anyway, I shall end this unhelpful post, sorry !

Chunkers

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 04:52:09 PM »

I don't know what exchange/cabinet you are on but:

a) The government is planning to introduce an universal service obligation of 10MB by 2020.

b) If the DSLChecker is updated for your line to show that FTTPoD (see attached) is available than https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/10/openreach-unveil-new-uk-pricing-fttp-demand-ultrafast-broadband.html would become an option. The lower pricing from next year makes it much more viable than it has been in the past.