Computer Software > General software

Adobe Reader Issue

(1/2) > >>

tiffy:
Anyone had recent issues with Adobe Reader ?

Have been using Adobe Reader DC for as long as I can remember, running on desktop PC, Win 8.1 64b.
Yesterday, it just stopped opening, no error messages, just appears to be starting (busy cursor icon for a few seconds) then nothing.
Have tried the usual things, ran repair, un-installed/re-installed, still the same.

Completely un-installed again and then installed Adobe Reader XI, exact same results.

Have not recently installed Adobe or Windows updates just prior to the issue and Reader did not exibit any issues after the previous updates of either Adobe or Windows.

Have seen historical reports of similar issues with Adobe Reader but nothing recent as far as I can see.

My default browser is Firefox any possible connection with this ?

watcher:
You could try using the Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool from Adobe here.

tiffy:
Thanks for the suggestion, I was aware of this utility but discounted as the utility was described as a possible fix for a failed installation or incomplete un-installation.
However, just in case, I ran the utility which completed without any reported errors.

After a PC re-boot as requested, re-installed Reader XI without any reported errors.

Unfortunately, situation still the same, program won't start by any method !

tiffy:
Given up on Adobe Reader, not worth any further time or effort, related forums are full of issues similar to mine with very few solutions offered by Adobe that I could see.

As some form of pdf file reader is essential, I have gone to Foxit Reader simply because this was pre-installed on my desktop PC, the free version currently appears to fulfill my very basic requirements so I will give it a go, there are plenty of free alternatives available should Foxit prove unsuitable.

Like most Windows software, Adobe Reader in my opinion has become too bloated and complicated for normal basic reader funcionality, users with more complex needs usually expect to have to purchase these, why not keep the basic reader just that as it used to be ?

tbailey2:
Strange  :-\ I have the free Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (to give it its full name) latest version 2017.012.20098 installed on two separate Windows 8.1 64-bit installations running fine here....

Edit:
Just spotted you say Adobe reader XI - that is old hat I believe and was superseded by V12:

https://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

Obviously deselect the McAfee options if you don't need them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version