Computer Software > Security

Another Scam

(1/3) > >>

Yorkie:
Picked this up from another forum I visit, its new too me, but then I do live a sheltered life ::)

"I was contacted by John Lewis today to ask if I had attempted to make a balance transfer to my John Lewis credit card today.

I confirmed I had not, and was advised that someone had tried to dump their £4,900 balance onto my card!

Fortunately they had failed the telephone identity check and the transaction was refused.

My account was stopped and a new card will be issued."

Remember what the man said "be careful out there"

Ezzer:
I'm out and about at the mo so I can't copy and paste the link. However the BBC technology web site has news of a major new trojan scam linked to a music download

I did have many phishing e-mails from 2 supposed finacial institutions. fortunately I reconised what they were and didn't open the mails. bairly used the account and 1 months later got over 1000 abusive e-mails from people narked off due to reciving phishing e-mails from me: the scamers hijacked my e-mail address and used it to send loads of phishing mails and so covering their tracks. the isp stated i gave them the scamers my e-mail password from a date 4 months after I used the address: i only used the address for the actual genuine institutions and the ISP. Had copies of all outgoing mail still on the pc and never let the address out an any other document, e-mail or let anyone know.

oldfogy:
So far this week I've had two.
One for NatWest and one "today" for Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS)

--- Quote ---

I was contacted by xyz to ask if I had attempted to make a balance transfer to my xyz credit card today.

--- End quote ---
But remember, apart from your "Memorable name" no other details should be asked or given.
As this in itself can be a way of catching people out by putting them of guard.

Floydoid:
I got those two as well OF, and I bank with neither.  Actually I use one of the smaller banks and have never had those sort of mails purporting to come from them.

The best advice is to ignore and delete those mails.  Never click on any links, and if you are concerned, a phone call to your bank for assurance never goes amiss.

chrissie:
Thankfully my bank doesn't have my email address and I intend to keep it that way.... I don't open any "official financial" stuff either... best be safe than sorry, there are some evil B's out there as we can see.   :( :(

Chrissie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version