Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Another Scam  (Read 4216 times)

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
Another Scam
« on: May 08, 2008, 07:47:21 PM »

Picked this up from another forum I visit, its new too me, but then I do live a sheltered life ::)

"I was contacted by John Lewis today to ask if I had attempted to make a balance transfer to my John Lewis credit card today.

I confirmed I had not, and was advised that someone had tried to dump their £4,900 balance onto my card!

Fortunately they had failed the telephone identity check and the transaction was refused.

My account was stopped and a new card will be issued."

Remember what the man said "be careful out there"

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Another Scam
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 09:38:44 PM »

I'm out and about at the mo so I can't copy and paste the link. However the BBC technology web site has news of a major new trojan scam linked to a music download

I did have many phishing e-mails from 2 supposed finacial institutions. fortunately I reconised what they were and didn't open the mails. bairly used the account and 1 months later got over 1000 abusive e-mails from people narked off due to reciving phishing e-mails from me: the scamers hijacked my e-mail address and used it to send loads of phishing mails and so covering their tracks. the isp stated i gave them the scamers my e-mail password from a date 4 months after I used the address: i only used the address for the actual genuine institutions and the ISP. Had copies of all outgoing mail still on the pc and never let the address out an any other document, e-mail or let anyone know.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 10:33:09 PM »

So far this week I've had two.
One for NatWest and one "today" for Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS)

I was contacted by xyz to ask if I had attempted to make a balance transfer to my xyz credit card today.

But remember, apart from your "Memorable name" no other details should be asked or given.
As this in itself can be a way of catching people out by putting them of guard.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 10:38:08 PM by oldfogy »

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 06:31:42 AM »

I got those two as well OF, and I bank with neither.  Actually I use one of the smaller banks and have never had those sort of mails purporting to come from them.

The best advice is to ignore and delete those mails.  Never click on any links, and if you are concerned, a phone call to your bank for assurance never goes amiss.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 06:33:44 AM by Floydoid »
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 06:34:02 AM »

Thankfully my bank doesn't have my email address and I intend to keep it that way.... I don't open any "official financial" stuff either... best be safe than sorry, there are some evil B's out there as we can see.   :( :(

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 07:40:41 AM »

Yes,you have to be very vigilant and careful,and check your accounts on a regular basis.
This is what happened to me in March.

Hi all,We have just had a call from the Halifax asking us to phone a number to check our security details.I was a bit concerned so I phoned the Halifax who informed me it was a genuine number.When i called it I was told there had been some transactions in the early  hours of this morning on my card. £678,£339 and £11. All these amounts were declined.My card is at home with me and rarely goes outside.I do use it for online purchases,and this is where it seems someone has got my details,but obviously not the pin number.This is so frightening because I never buy from a site without the gold padlock sign.I have been using the internet for years to buy things without any problems but this has really knocked me for six.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 09:38:27 AM »

It would me too Unc..... I'd be scared stiff after that.  They say that's the worst crime now don't they.. card fraud and fraudulent use on the internet.  The evil B's make it so bad for the decent peeps... they overrun everything and we all end up paying.  Good job your card people were on the ball... I guess one is lucky if it doesn't happen to you.... but you always wonder WHEN it will...  :'( :'( :'(
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 10:02:26 AM »

Thankfully my bank doesn't have my email address

Your bank would only use your email address for legitimate purposes... these scam emails come from goodness knows where, and just randomly generate addresses - often they try all sorts of combinations and stick domains like hotmail.com or yahoo.com after the @.

My bank has my private mail address which I don't generally give out, so I would know immediately whether any mail would be genuine or not.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 10:04:58 AM »

Phil, if you're really worried, ask the Halifax to give you a new account number.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 12:02:02 PM »

@ Floydy,yeah they did,cancelled old card and sent out a new one.I must admit the Halifax were 'on the ball' and contacted us within a few hours of the attempted fraud.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 12:31:04 PM »

Yeah the Halifax are pretty good like that - I did used to bank with them for a lot of years before I switched to my current bank - the self proclaimed ethical bank. ;)