Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: zen - thoughts?  (Read 9404 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: zen - thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 07:42:32 AM »

as i said, this thread is not about discussing any current issues.
it is about asking for thoughts on Zen.

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 08:56:05 AM »

I've been with Zen about 10 years. A year or so ago someone at Zen pointed out I was on an old package and could get a better deal by changing.

It does what it says on the tin - remembering no one is perfect.

shadow4dog

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 02:50:23 PM »

I moved from Plusnet to Zen in July this year. I did notice that the Zen line had slightly better latency (probably partly because of the cabinet modem firmware match and removal of their prioritization service) but apart from that it was identical to Plusnet.

I decided to implement IPV6 and had a bit of trouble with that so had to contact their customer support. Zen support are quick, courteous and knowledgable and had a flexiblity I'd not encountered with Plusnet.

My area doesn't have Zen backhaul so it's using the BT infrastructure. It's been as good as Plusnet, if slightly better throughput at peak times.

I was supplied with the Fritzbox 3490, and had it briefly running as a router modem. It seemed very good. I'd previously had a Billion 8800NL connected to a ECI cabinet and it had performed well. The Fritzbox can achieve a very slightly higher connection speed.

I think if you put a high value on customer service, Zen is better than Plusnet, certainly from my dealings with them, on the other hand Plusnet were a bit cheaper.

Thanks
Tim

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 03:27:50 PM »

I cannot recommend zen, too many reports of performance issues (remember also it has a small userbase), and the issues that people like ixel have had trying to get line issues looked at.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 03:48:20 PM »

what performance issues?
any that were specific to Zen or not BTw wide issues?

and what problems getting a line issue looked at? ixel mentione other issues but not a line issue.
are you basing your non recommendation on your own experience or anecdotal reports from other people?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 05:04:44 PM »

The reports are on the TBB forums as well as some I received from friends personally over email.

I said I cannot recommend it, that doesnt mean I am saying stay away.

Ixel's issues are detailed on here and on TBB.

Also I 'think' Andrew on TBB did a recent news article as well. Yeah its here.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7842-packet-loss-and-speed-problems-at-several-providers, note that idnet rent backhaul from zen, I dont know about the 3rd provider.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 05:07:29 PM by Chrysalis »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 06:07:41 PM »

Particularly my line issue which was closed due to CIDT test passing and the voice/line engineer finding no fault with his equipment (except I needed a broadband engineer as this is a broadband specific problem). Only thing I can be thankful for is that Zen didn't pass on the Openreach 'no fault found' charge to me since it wasn't agreed prior to the engineer coming.

Before I stopped using Zen I was still having intermittent performance issues (intermittent packet loss in small amounts as well as slower single threaded download speeds around peak hours). I honestly can't recommend them. I'm with AAISP now for my second and new line as I mentioned earlier, spoke to them on IRC and I was told by Shaun that they could help so I emailed them as well as providing some stats from my HG612 and got a very fast response from Shaun to confirm a fault has been raised with TT and that there will be a broadband engineer! This is what Zen should've asked for based on what I've told them and shown them but it didn't happen for some reason. Even the Openreach voice/line engineer I had who found no fault told me I needed a broadband engineer. Despite all this I've not had slow single threaded download speeds on my AAISP connection.

TLDR: Due to my recent problems when I needed their support I can no longer recommend Zen.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 08:44:48 PM »

It would be interesting to know if those on Zen who are experiencing these issues are on a BTw based product or if they are using the new Zen backhaul.

As I mentioned in my post above, it does look like congestion...  but the fact that those on other ISPs are also seeing similar...  plus its not affecting all Zen customers... I think one of the most useful things people could report is if they are on Zens network... or if BTw.  Geographic location could also help.

When PN had issues with the BTw MSILs, it was exceedingly hard to track down because a lot of EU's where OK.  Plusnet were saying that it was not their network.   
Not being funny but I was one of the first to spot that it only seemed to be affecting certain areas... and I do believe that I was the first to suggest it could be the BTw MSILs.  A lot of people didnt believe me at first... but in the end it was later confirmed by PN that I was right and there were some shared MSILs that were running hot.   This may or may not have been instrumental to PN moving away from shared MSILs and now using dedicated BTw.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2017, 09:05:17 PM »

It would be interesting to know if those on Zen who are experiencing these issues are on a BTw based product or if they are using the new Zen backhaul.

As I mentioned in my post above, it does look like congestion...  but the fact that those on other ISPs are also seeing similar...  plus its not affecting all Zen customers... I think one of the most useful things people could report is if they are on Zens network... or if BTw.  Geographic location could also help.

When PN had issues with the BTw MSILs, it was exceedingly hard to track down because a lot of EU's where OK.  Plusnet were saying that it was not their network.   
Not being funny but I was one of the first to spot that it only seemed to be affecting certain areas... and I do believe that I was the first to suggest it could be the BTw MSILs.  A lot of people didnt believe me at first... but in the end it was later confirmed by PN that I was right and there were some shared MSILs that were running hot.   This may or may not have been instrumental to PN moving away from shared MSILs and now using dedicated BTw.

I'm on the Zen back-haul, I used to be on WBMC and don't recall having issues with performance when I was.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 09:39:07 PM »

Interesting post on TBB http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/zen/t/4569280-six-months-to-fix-throughput-problem.html from Zen rep Jon Green, that may add some info.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2017, 11:58:34 AM »

i suppose there would be no way to know if you would be on zen backhaul or WBMC before migrating?
Zen aren't listed as an LLU on my exchange.

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WSKIE

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2017, 12:30:18 PM »

i suppose there would be no way to know if you would be on zen backhaul or WBMC before migrating?
Zen aren't listed as an LLU on my exchange.

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WSKIE

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if Zen isn't listed as LLU on your exchange then it's quite possible you'll be on the BTw back-haul.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2017, 01:13:11 PM »

The Sam list is outdated as far as Zen is concerned.

Also the way FTTC works, Zen doesnt need to have a presence at your local exchange, but instead at the head-end exchange.
I know where they are hoping to expand, but the difficulty even with having this data is trying to find a way to integrate it into the checker without having a complete BT list of which Headend exchanges serve what local exchanges.   I tried to build something in my checker several months ago, but until I know Openreach parent and child exchanges I'm a bit stuck.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2017, 01:25:12 PM »

so you wouldn't really know until you started using the service then i guess.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2017, 02:24:43 PM »

Their rollout is pretty major and without trying to sound like I'm plugging them (I have no reason to), then eventually this will be Yuge.

As a whole Zen are still growing on the business side and last year they took on loads of new staff. Not just 'any' staff either, a lot came from other ISP's or industries, so even the CS type aren't noobs and less likely to be script monkies.   
They have put millions into investing new equipment.  I think (hope) what is going on right now is teething problems as they switch over to the new system.

If anyone can come in from behind and do this right, then it should be Zen, because when it is completed it will make them a major player in the UK up amongst the big boy names.

I think they have shown foresight.  PN realised that the BTw MSILs weren't working for them and gone dedicated to give them more control.  Zen have taken another approach and are quietly plugging away in the background to build something big that they can call their own.  The fact that they mostly support business products means that they cannot afford to muck up.  I really do hope this works out for them, when completed it will give them a prescence throughout most of the UK.  How many other SP's have attempted trying to take BT as much out of the picture as they can - although obviously they will still be reliant on Openreach.   

The weird thing is they are quietly coming in from the rear and getting there.   There are some other well known names in the industry who have faith they can do this and are watching and waiting.  Because their target audience is business rather than consumer, then the media seem to have little interest.

You can read more about it here.
https://www.zen.co.uk/latest-news.aspx?page=12218
-----
Pages: 1 [2] 3