Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Possibilities if more than a mile from cabinet  (Read 4098 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Possibilities if more than a mile from cabinet
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 09:43:29 PM »

No line of sight - it's very hilly here. 

Presuming you're somewhere near Woodside House, the following could be options, especially if all neighbours club together.

There does look like line of site across the bay to Camusterrach  from here and then up to these houses, would require a transmitter, relay and receiver set up presuming there is power available.

There's also line of sight to Camusterrach from here and power.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 10:14:01 PM »

That view, across the bay, reminded me of a place where Openreach ran "Wireless to the cabinet": Scalpay.

Story here on ISPreview

AnnieMacD

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 10:35:24 PM »

Presuming you're somewhere near Woodside House, the following could be options, especially if all neighbours club together.

There does look like line of site across the bay to Camusterrach  from here and then up to these houses, would require a transmitter, relay and receiver set up presuming there is power available.

There's also line of sight to Camusterrach from here and power.
Ah, so that's another option.  OK, I'll mention that to HIE as it may be cheaper than laying cable.  There is no power down at then shore but it's not far away.

AnnieMacD

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 10:40:08 PM »

That view, across the bay, reminded me of a place where Openreach ran "Wireless to the cabinet": Scalpay.

Story here on ISPreview
That's what we need!  I haven't figured it out but currently there is no fibre cable coming into Applecross - they are just laying the conduit now.  So could this be how it's coming into the exchange in the first place?  I must say everyone was pretty surprised when we saw the cabinets pop up.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 11:16:12 PM »

Your exchange is too small to have all the exchange-based hardware for FTTC, so the cabinets are likely fibre-cabled back to a larger parent exchange. That cable doesn't have to go via your exchange, if there is a better route back.

However, BT are also in the process of upgrading all the remaining small ADSL-only exchanges to ADSL2+ with 21CN fibre.

I wonder if what you are seeing is the ducting for the exchange, separate to the cabinets?

Yes, the timing can be strange. In 2011, my 11,000-line exchange got FTTC cabinets (with their 21CN backhaul) before it got ADSL2+ and 21CN.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 12:11:17 AM »

Actually, you can see from the map on this Youtube video that you're now not that far from a wholly new section of BT's 21CN backhaul, running Kyle-Lochcarron-Gairloch.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2017, 11:34:29 AM »

How did you find out that Cab1 went live on 7th September and what the plan is for 2018?

1. Go to https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm
2. Search using your phone number.
3. In the results, choose the link for Applecross, Strathcarron, Ross-shire.
4. Choose the link with says "All 13 Fibre Cabinets" and scroll down.

AnnieMacD

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 05:04:08 PM »

Actually, you can see from the map on this Youtube video that you're now not that far from a wholly new section of BT's 21CN backhaul, running Kyle-Lochcarron-Gairloch.
It may look like it's not far, but there is a 620m mountain pass in between.  :D
Bealach na Ba, Applecross by Annie MacDonald, on Flickr

AnnieMacD

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2017, 05:19:30 PM »

1. Go to https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm
2. Search using your phone number.
3. In the results, choose the link for Applecross, Strathcarron, Ross-shire.
4. Choose the link with says "All 13 Fibre Cabinets" and scroll down.

Wow, I didn't see this before.  There will be a cab right next to my house.  The next question is, when?  But we've waited 10 years, a few more months won't make much difference.  Thanks!   ;D

Edit: I just realized, these are not cabinets but the existing ADSL 'exchanges'.  The status just says that 'Fibre not available'.  I guess I was premature in getting excited  :(
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 05:31:08 PM by AnnieMacD »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2017, 06:16:18 PM »

Edit: I just realized, these are not cabinets but the existing ADSL 'exchanges'.  The status just says that 'Fibre not available'.  I guess I was premature in getting excited  :(
I believe they are where bundles of cables from the exchange emerge so they can in fact become cabinets

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2017, 08:58:43 PM »

It may look like it's not far, but there is a 620m mountain pass in between.  :D

A tad more vertical than horizontal, then ;)

Great picture. Great scenery too.

Codelook's positioning isn't perfect. It tends to use some form of aggregate of all the postcodes served by the "thing", and set the green blob in some aggregate average location. It doesn't get it right, much.

Then the "thing" could be a cabinet, or it could just be one bundle of EO lines, labelled "Exchange N". What you need, at some point, is the EO bundle re-arranging into a cabinet somewhere.

When BT are in the process of adding cabinets to an exchange, then some of the postcode data goes awry, so Codelook loses positioning totally.

AnnieMacD

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2017, 09:10:54 PM »

Oh, OK, so sort of back to square one then.  In any case, thanks for all the information and I do feel that I know more now so that I can ask semi-intelligent questions of HIE.

Unfortunately, there are some drawbacks to living in such a beautiful place!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2017, 10:01:01 AM »

Alas, this won't help the OP's situation in any way, but the thread title may bring others here looking for information.
As such, I thought it might be worth mentioning that of late (the last 6months or so), I've personally noticed quite a bit of 'Re-parenting' work going on.

This appears to be going on, where existing FTTC customers sees them only getting poor speeds due to the long D-side line-lengths.

Basically a new 'Combined VDSL Cab' will be plonked a lot nearer to the EU's locality, thus allowing the low-performing circuits to be migrated over to the new Cab, and ... I suppose open up the opportunity for other EU's who were initially too far away, to get FTTC broadband ??.
Pages: 1 [2]