Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Can't sync to ISP with TP-Link TD-W8980 modem router  (Read 9067 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Can't sync to ISP with TP-Link TD-W8980 modem router
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2017, 08:21:08 PM »

Then it's pointless trying all the different WAN settings as none will work without sync.
Try getting sync 1st.
Have you specified the ADSL modulation type? What options are available on the DSL settings page?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

DaleLamar

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2017, 08:31:44 PM »

Are you actually syncing to the DSLAM? You mentioned in the 1st post that the ADSL light is flashing twice. I've no idea how that particular model works or shows sync, but without a successful sync you won't get any WAN connection.

No, it's not syncing to the DSLAM; that's the problem.

It does look like it's the DSL link that's not being established. I think the logs indicate it detects the DSLAM, but fails at some stage before fully establishing the DSL link.

That's right: the link is not being established. Hence, no sync to the DSLAM.

Yesterday, the A&A chap was monitoring as I was trying to connect to their test account. Afterwards, he said: "NO PPP attempts to us, odd."

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2017, 08:53:47 PM »

Yes changing any the WAN settings will make absolutely no difference till you get sync. Concentrate on the DSL settings.
What DSL modulation does your other modem use? ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+?

Try specifically setting this rather than choosing automatic. What other DSL settings are on that same page?

edit: it's under Network > DSL settings.
Try a specific modulation rather than Auto sync up.
Try unchecking SRA also.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 08:59:20 PM by j0hn »

DaleLamar

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2017, 09:02:46 PM »

Yes changing any the WAN settings will make absolutely no difference till you get sync. Concentrate on the DSL settings.
What DSL modulation does your other modem use? ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+?

Try specifically setting this rather than choosing automatic. What other DSL settings are on that same page?

My other (Netgear DG834G v4) modem has the DSL modulation settings you mentioned; it is set to Auto.

I've tried all the DSL settings in the TP-Link router.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2017, 09:05:17 PM »

When synced the Netgear should show you which modulation you are using on the Status/log page.
I edited my post above with more to try.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2017, 09:45:07 PM »

Hi

I could be wrong sorry, as I’ve read this thread but getting slightly confused

If I read it correct, the rj11 for both cables work on netgear but not on tp, where both rj11 used does not allow the tp to sync

If this is correct, it will be the rj11 cable (probably a single pair), which are on the wrong pins

Try a full twin pair rj11, or change the pins wired to those that are not. Some use inner and some use outer (ie 14, 23)

As I say, could be wrong but have seen this over the years

Many thanks

John

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2017, 10:01:09 PM »

It can't be the rj11 or the Netgear wouldn't sync with the cable. Only 1 pair in the rj11 cable is actually used. If they were on the wrong pins then the Netgear would not sync. They both use the same pins.

DaleLamar

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2017, 11:14:35 PM »

Hi

I could be wrong sorry, as I’ve read this thread but getting slightly confused

If I read it correct, the rj11 for both cables work on netgear but not on tp, where both rj11 used does not allow the tp to sync

If this is correct, it will be the rj11 cable (probably a single pair), which are on the wrong pins

Try a full twin pair rj11, or change the pins wired to those that are not. Some use inner and some use outer (ie 14, 23)

As I say, could be wrong but have seen this over the years

Many thanks

John

Hi John,

I wrote that the Negear router would not sync using the new cable.

And the TP-Link router would not sync using either the old or new cable.

Just now, looking at the cables that run upstairs, I see that I made a mistake.

I have two cables running upstairs from the downstairs BT faceplate: one is a good quality data cable, and the other is the phone cable which plugs into an RJ11 socket on a four-gang power strip. A phone or answer machine can then be plugged into the other RJ11 socket on the power strip.

When I said that I tried the new cable with the Negear router, I did. But the way I tried it was to plug it into the phone connection on the power strip. No wonder the Netgear router wouldn't sync with the new cable!

So, no poltergeist activity, just user error!  :o

Cheers.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2017, 01:28:10 AM »

I've just noticed you appended a log file in one of your later posts.  The log file is a bit odd, but it appears to be looping through training ok and the furthest its getting is PPP0 LCP confReq which is with the BTw RAS.  Its at this point things are failing and it appears to be having difficultly setting up PPP.
You should after that get a CHAP challenge so the BTw RADIUS can set up the L2TP tunnel to the ISP.

Definitely make sure that you are not putting in a static IP info as this can and often does confuse the BTw RADIUS... as its the ISP RADIUS which verifies the PPP login and at this point dishes out the IP.  I think you said in one of your posts that idNet said they could see no trace of you attempting to connect to their RADIUS. 

In theory if the BTw RAS can't connect you to your ISP, it should at this point allocate one of its own [internal] dynamic IPs which will just give you access as far as the BTw backhaul for performing certain diagnostics.

Do you get anything at all on this page from the web GUI
http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/TD-W9980_Status
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2017, 06:44:28 AM »

When the WAN connection is configured as "always on", the TP-Link will keep trying to bring up the PPP connection regardless of the status of the DSL link. The PPP messages in the log are a red herring. The TP-Link log would contain "xDSL Enter SHOWTIME!!" if it had succeeded in establishing the DSL link.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2017, 09:34:10 AM »

Ah right cheers.  When I said odd,  I wondered why it was leaving showtime, without it showing in the log and thought perhaps it was a logging issue...  and why I wanted to know what showed on the status page, so we knew for certain if it was getting any sync.

Incidentally I notice there is a post on the PN forums of what appears to be similar issue on ADSL.   The EU never got to the bottom of it and RMA'd the modem.
https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Problems-with-TP-Link-TD-W9980-on-ADSL/td-p/1290022
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

DaleLamar

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2017, 06:34:30 PM »

I've just noticed you appended a log file in one of your later posts.  The log file is a bit odd, but it appears to be looping through training ok and the furthest its getting is PPP0 LCP confReq which is with the BTw RAS.  Its at this point things are failing and it appears to be having difficultly setting up PPP.
You should after that get a CHAP challenge so the BTw RADIUS can set up the L2TP tunnel to the ISP.

Definitely make sure that you are not putting in a static IP info as this can and often does confuse the BTw RADIUS... as its the ISP RADIUS which verifies the PPP login and at this point dishes out the IP.  I think you said in one of your posts that idNet said they could see no trace of you attempting to connect to their RADIUS. 

In theory if the BTw RAS can't connect you to your ISP, it should at this point allocate one of its own [internal] dynamic IPs which will just give you access as far as the BTw backhaul for performing certain diagnostics.

Do you get anything at all on this page from the web GUI
http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/TD-W9980_Status

Thanks for the information and advice.

It was A&A, using their test account. But yes, their chap said he couldn't see any PPP attempts.

The status page never shows any connection information, just 'initialising', then 'disconnected'.

Cheers.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2017, 08:33:47 PM »

As ejs explained the references to PPP in the log are a red herring.
You need to try get sync 1st. Try each of the DSL modulation available, with SRA unchecked. I believe it's Annex A although happy to be corrected there.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything