Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Virgin with VMG8324-B10A Router *SOLVED*  (Read 2060 times)

Icex64

• Just arrived
Virgin with VMG8324-B10A Router *SOLVED*
« on: October 08, 2017, 11:06:20 PM »

Was on a FTTC over a BT line with Zen for 2 years (up to 74mb - got 55mb/20mb) and purchased the "Zyxel vmg8324-b10a" box alongside which worked great for the 2 years.

Just moved hour and due to zen telling me the speeds would be halved I've moved over to Virgin on the Vivo 350 package (getting near 400mb/20mb)

I wanted to put the Virgin box into modem mode and directly link a an CAT6 cable from the virgin modem to the Zyxel box.

I've put the WAN into bridge mode on the Zyxel router, the problem i'm having is i can only use one hard wired PC over Ethernet (other ports and WiFi doesn't load the internet).

I feel it's not distributing by DHCP server on the Zyxel but it's taking the direct IP from Virgin (see attached).

Any ideas, I've run out and i really despise the virgin router (i get worse speed tests and wifi coverage is poor).

I've tried loads but thought i'd post here.. any help/advise much appreciated
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:51:30 PM by Icex64 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Virgin with VMG8324-B10A Router *SOLVED*
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 12:29:25 AM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

Reading through you post, I sense that there might be a little confusion.

The Virgin device, ideally, should be in bridge mode just offering you Ethernet frames. The ZyXEL device should then be configured with its last (?) LAN port as an EWAN port, a pure router, etc, and the two devices linked with an Ethernet patch cable. However I suspect that the Virgin device cannot be configured as such.

As I am totally unfamiliar with the Virgin device, it might be best to wait for other members to comment. But my feeling is that you may have to have a "double NAT" set-up.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 08:10:10 AM »

I've put the WAN into bridge mode on the Zyxel router, the problem i'm having is i can only use one hard wired PC over Ethernet (other ports and WiFi doesn't load the internet).
No idea what you mean by "Put the WAN into bridge mode" but there's no need to change any bridge settings. From the default config you just need to connect the Virgin modems LAN port to the ZyXEL WAN port.

If it's not working as expected then reset the Zyxel to factory defaults as something you've changed is breaking it. It works out of the box with both a DSL cable connected or a WAN cable connected, without changing any settings.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Icex64

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 09:47:18 AM »

Thanks.

On previous routers I've enabled the router into bride mode, making it another access point. Whilst keeping the main router as a router, so your correct i shouldn't have to bridge mode enable the "WLAN" port at all in theory at all.

The virgin has only two modes. router and modem. I've done it before with other netgear's, enable modem on the virgin and then plugged it into the WLAN port on the netgear and it works straight away. I'll give it another go after resetting the Zyxel and report back

Icex64

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 10:51:05 PM »

All solved. Changed the PPOE on the ETHWAN to IPoE and it all went through. rid of the terrible Virgin Router.

Thanks for those who replied.

Cheers

anything