Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: CableLabs Finish Spec for Symmetric 10Gbps DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Broadband  (Read 2617 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/10/cablelabs-finish-spec-symmetric-10gbps-docsis-3-1-cable-broadband.html

The dream of 10Gbps (Gigabits per second) capable Full Duplex DOCSIS 3.1 technology, which could one day be deployed on Hybrid Fibre Coax (HFC) based cable networks like Virgin Media, has taken another step forward after CableLabs completed the technology’s official specification.

At present Virgin Media’s network in the United Kingdom is predominantly based off the older EuroDOCSIS 3 (Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification) technology, which is a variant of the DOCSIS 3.0 cable standard that has been adapted to EU frequency allocations and permits more bandwidth for the downstream data path.

The top download speed that Virgin offers to consumers over their current UK network is 350Mbps (20Mbps upload), although they could push this quite a bit further if they wanted (500Mbps might be the next upgrade). In the very near future we also expect Virgin and other cable operators to adopt the latest DOCSIS 3.1 standard, which can in theory deliver peak network speeds of 10Gbps download and 1Gbps upload (end-users won’t get this top speed).

I hope VM continue to make progress on improving their network. I'd like to see them improve the current hub 3 they use as it seems to have problems with the intel chip inside, which causes problems for a lot of people gaming with lag etc.

I think if VM just improve their network so it can reach the advertised speeds in at least 80% of cases then that would be a good thing for all the industry. Having a strong rival to Openreach and others Fibre network will improve competition. At the moment it feels like BT/OR are in a 'who blinks first' competition with VM.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: CableLabs Finish Spec for Symmetric 10Gbps DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Broadband
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 01:32:54 PM »

According to TBB VM have been improving their network and congestion issues.

They are currently rolling out full fibre in my area, my street is being cabled this week, so once live I will be changing over to VM.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 05:26:32 PM »

Thats great Ronski,

Once your on the new service you'll have to report back with your thoughts on it.

It'll be interesting to hear.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 05:34:29 PM »

Certainly will, once in gets to instalation time I'll start a thread.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 05:42:39 PM »

Certainly will, once in gets to instalation time I'll start a thread.

Would you be able to use both, side-by-side, for a compare and contrast report?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 06:55:51 PM »

I will be able to use both until I cancel the Plusnet line presuming I can work out how to set up PFSense to use both connections. I'm sure if I can't I know where I can find some help   ;)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 08:46:52 PM »

yeah pffsense has gateway groups which I used when was using my phone during my sky outage in august, so when sky came online it auto switched to sky to save my data costs.  PfSense definitely supports it, if you get stuck PM me and I will help.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 08:57:43 PM »

Thanks Chrysalis

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 10:13:57 PM »

Another knife in the future of FTTP?

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 01:21:42 PM »

Another knife in the future of FTTP?

It's something that alleviates the need of it for quite a while :)

The coax is good for 3 GHz, give or take, so that's a limitation, and FDX DOCSIS also requires FTTLA, Fibre to the Last Amplifier. VM have way, way more cabinets than Openreach, that's a lot of cabinets needing fibre as most of them have amplifiers that need replacing with FDX-capable optical nodes.

VM's cabinet count is well into the hundreds of thousands. I wouldn't expect to see FDX for a long while, however many of the preparations for it are going to be done through business as usual activities.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 04:10:42 PM »

Its not just DOCSIS developments which pushes back full FTTP - others are looking at what they are calling Surface Wave over Copper or Terabit DSL which could operate at 10 Gbps at 500 metres/1 Terabit/s over 100m (see http://gfastnews.com/index.php/90-r/390-10-gigabits-500-meters-over-phone-cables)

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 04:41:12 PM »

It has potential but is vapourware for right now. FDX is going to be seen in live deployments in the next year or so.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 02:55:38 PM »

Its not just DOCSIS developments which pushes back full FTTP - others are looking at what they are calling Surface Wave over Copper or Terabit DSL which could operate at 10 Gbps at 500 metres/1 Terabit/s over 100m (see http://gfastnews.com/index.php/90-r/390-10-gigabits-500-meters-over-phone-cables)

Looks as though Openreach aren't so enthusiastic about this and it's not actually that surprising. This stuff is all well and good but the cost of the silicon would be crazy. At some point you have to start asking yourself just how much you are willing to pay per port on remote nodes when in many cases you have infrastructure you can re-use to deploy FTTP.

Regarding DOCSIS 3.1 in the UK, looks as though VM are going to continue to run on 3.0 for a while yet as I mentioned before. With 3.0 they can deliver 1.6Gb/s downstream to a node so given their top end is only capped at a little over 400Mb and they don't even have that deployed anywhere near everywhere there's plenty of headroom.

anything