Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Interesting SNRm Steps - DLM or Noise?  (Read 1425 times)

LordSven

Interesting SNRm Steps - DLM or Noise?
« on: October 13, 2017, 02:10:37 PM »

Good day all,
On Mon 09th Oct, BT applied their 'Broadband Boost' to my previously 52Mb/s down, 8.9Mb/s up line. Over the 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th October are some interesting SNRm 'steps'. I wonder if anyone would care to cast an eye over the graphs and give an opinion on the cause please?
Obviously, the 'big step' in SNRm reduction on 09th Oct was the increase in sync. speed. The largish upward spikes in SNRm on 10th and 12th were indicative of power cuts and the resulting decrease in noise when my UPS kept me online.
However, I wonder if the other 'steps' are DLM reducing the margin?
Cheers!
LS
BT FTTC 79/18 from Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A - LordSven on MDWS via DslStats

LordSven

Re: Interesting SNRm Steps - DLM or Noise?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 02:11:43 PM »

And the last 2 days attached.
BT FTTC 79/18 from Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A - LordSven on MDWS via DslStats

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 07:19:34 PM »

The DLM applying a change to the target SNRM would require a re-sync for the change to take effect. It doesn't look like it's the DLM's doing. So it's probably small changes in noise.

LordSven

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 04:28:15 PM »

Thanks for that ejs. It does seem to vary quite a bit in comparison with others on MDWS. Should I be concerned?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 04:53:51 PM »

No.

If you don't notice any problem with your broadband service, then you don't really need to scrutinise stats and graphs looking for one.

LordSven

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 05:21:33 PM »

Fair enough, thank you. If it ain't broke don't fix it! It's the OCD ex-M&E engineer in me.  ::)