Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fibre Availabilty  (Read 4360 times)

albert.shepherd

Fibre Availabilty
« on: October 06, 2017, 11:10:23 AM »

I live on a fairly new estate and Openreach has said my cabinet cabuinet 9 servicing WA12 0AA is now live.
However when I try to order every supplier says that it is not available at my address.
When I check the other address's on my estate all the  checkers say they can supply fibre and when I ask the providers they all say they could proceed with an order at those address's.
I dont understand as the estate is a normal type estate. Literally the house next door 3 metres away built at exactly the same time can order fibre.
No service provider has been willing to investigate why this situation has arisen. They all comment that they do not understand but will not take on the problem.
Is there any organisation out there who can possibly throw some light on a solution to my problem?

WWWombat

• Kitizen
Re: Fibre Availabilty
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 02:27:17 PM »

Ordinarily, you'd expect a new estate to be served by a coherent set of cabinets. It might be more than 1 cabinet, though, if cabs are running out of space and/or have insufficient capacity in the lines back to an exchange. So don't expect that everyone is on the same cabinet.

However, BT have been known to make a mistake in their line database, in ways that means it won't give you a VDSL2 estimate...
The biggest giveaway is that the BT Wholesale checker tells you that you are connected to the same cabinet as others nearby, where they get decent speeds, but your estimate only displays "VDSL multicast" as available.

Normally, this kind of mistake means a few houses together will not get an estimate (all the houses connected to the same DP - distribution point).

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 02:45:46 PM »

What does https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker show for your address? Including what cabinet it shows you being connected to.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 08:00:27 PM »

FWIW the OP's postcode in CodeLook is listed only 927 metres from the exchange. PCP 9 is showing as
FTTC being Connected, live due by November 2017
, but WA12 0AA is missing from list

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 08:35:18 PM »

Odd numbers 11 - 31 in that street show VDSL Multicast available, but no VDSL estimates.

edit: also looks like lots of the addresses are duplicated if you only enter the postcode on the address finder and use the pull down tab to pick the address.

Database issues can be a pain to get fixed. I had to email the CEO of OpenReach after trying for 6 months via my ISP and the OpenReach fibre enquiries email. After emailing the CEO it was fixed within days. I recommend this option to people for obvious database errors.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 08:41:27 PM by j0hn »

albert.shepherd

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 09:57:49 PM »

Hi,
My name is Albert Shepherd and you answered my forum input re infinity availability.

You have described the situation exactly right. My neighbours  and myself are on the same cabinet and they are offered the ability to order fibre and I am not along with as you describe a few others. The majority are offered the service if they order.
The question is "What can I do "

The cabinet has only been live for three weeks so it can not be a capacity issue cos I am sure they have not ordered fibre as yet.

albert.shepherd

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 10:00:23 PM »

The problem I have with the checker site you suggest is that my number is not a B.T. number as I am with TalkTalk and they do not wish to take on the problem. I have therefore made an order with B.T. for a second line the number of wich I do not know as yet.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 10:36:17 PM »

albert.shepherd

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 10:45:52 PM »

Yes that's the one I have used with shows my address cannot get fibre but all my neighbours can when I put their address's in

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 10:48:40 PM »

A 2nd line won't help. It's a fairly common problem where the database needs updated for your section of the street, possibly all on the same DP.
A politely worded email detailing the situation to the CEO of Openreach will see the issue resolved within a few days.

albert.shepherd

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 10:51:32 PM »

That's exactly what I have just done.
I will report back on the response but many thanks.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 10:53:59 PM »

Some odd numbered properties get FTTP according to the checker if not all. Might that be causing some confusion?

albert.shepherd

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 10:56:04 PM »

You are right it is the odd numbers after number 9 all the even numbers seem ok

albert.shepherd

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 11:00:32 PM »

Many thanks for the responses I have had and I will report back.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 08:16:35 AM »

Some odd numbered properties get FTTP according to the checker if not all. Might that be causing some confusion?

That's FTTP on demand, this is clearly a database issue, which as Albert has emailed the CEO should be resolved soon.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D
Pages: [1] 2

anything