Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Line issues  (Read 12781 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Is my line banded?
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2017, 03:32:44 PM »

The more I look at the way your DS & US SNRM falls off over time after a resync says that line needs a Oprenreach appointment it's almost like a battery or capacitor slowly draining away it's voltage, if your up to it you could replace your Modem and the NTE5 & SSFP and see if that helps if not call your ISP.

jt999

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2017, 09:13:34 AM »

The more I look at the way your DS & US SNRM falls off over time after a resync says that line needs a Oprenreach appointment it's almost like a battery or capacitor slowly draining away it's voltage, if your up to it you could replace your Modem and the NTE5 & SSFP and see if that helps if not call your ISP.

Openreach are coming Tuesday, so I'm hoping they can find/resolve it, if not it sounds like it'll be expensive!  :(

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2017, 02:13:47 PM »

Audible crackles should not get charged ... but they might only get investigated by a voice engineer rather than a broadband-skilled one.

jt999

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2017, 02:18:33 PM »

Audible crackles should not get charged ... but they might only get investigated by a voice engineer rather than a broadband-skilled one.

I think it's a voice engineer coming, I'm not sure though (Zen did suggest we get the crackling fixed before worrying about the DSL, so I agreed to that). I'm sure they won't be able to deny a fault if they try to use the phone.

I had a resync a short while ago (this time without using the phone) as the SNRM dropped to basically 0. Currently I have a rat tail filter (£10 in Maplin, what a rip off!) to the test socket and a new/overpriced DSL cable just to ensure none of the old stuff I had was the issue.
I see what you mean on the graph where it's falling over time - I've attached a screenshot for anyone interested.

I can perhaps change the modem to the one Zen sent originally if I can work out how to get it into a bridge type mode. I don't much fancy trying to replace the SSFP though as that'll likely end in tears! :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 05:42:11 PM by burakkucat »

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2017, 04:23:11 PM »

That is bizarre.

jt999

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2017, 11:13:41 AM »

That is bizarre.

Isn't it just!  :D

Will report back tomorrow once BT have been out, hopefully it'll be straightforward enough that it can be repaired.

jt999

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2017, 09:55:09 AM »

BT engineer came, he thinks there is a bad joint around 200m away, so is going to get someone else out to look at that as he can't do that work, progress at least! :)

jt999

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2017, 11:53:43 AM »

All sorted hopefully, they had to move me to some new pairs for part of the line, and redo a joint a bit further down the line.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2017, 04:16:56 PM »

BT engineer came, he thinks there is a bad joint around 200m away, so is going to get someone else out to look at that as he can't do that work, progress at least! :)

Ah, so he wasn't trained for UG (under ground) work.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2017, 04:19:22 PM »

All sorted hopefully, they had to move me to some new pairs for part of the line, and redo a joint a bit further down the line.

Hopefully all will now be good with your broadband Internet access, carried on that physical circuit.

jt999

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2017, 05:13:57 PM »

Ah, so he wasn't trained for UG (under ground) work.

No, he said he can only do above ground, but he got the under ground engineer within 30 minutes of establishing that there was a fault, so I was very happy - especially given the reviews I've heard of OpenReach elsewhere!

Line looks much better since the work was completed, I'm just hoping it stays that way  :fingers:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2017, 05:37:04 PM »

No, he said he can only do above ground, but he got the under ground engineer within 30 minutes of establishing that there was a fault, so I was very happy - especially given the reviews I've heard of OpenReach elsewhere!

In view of that, would you be willing to go to the Openreach "Tell Us Something" page, scroll down to the "Let us know how we did" heading and then take the first link in the following paragraph to send a "thank you" message?

jt999

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2017, 06:07:23 PM »

In view of that, would you be willing to go to the Openreach "Tell Us Something" page, scroll down to the "Let us know how we did" heading and then take the first link in the following paragraph to send a "thank you" message?

Thanks, I've done that now  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2017, 06:11:06 PM »

Thanks, I've done that now  ;D

Purrfect.  :)

jt999

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2017, 03:21:09 PM »

DLM seems to be having some fun with my connection today, had 4 resyncs all "Remote Defect Indicator/DLM" but not sure why  :no:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

anything